ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard O Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2013 21:53:06 -0700

Hey Charlie,

I agree that it's no easy matter to separate causes from correlations in
dietary studies.  While a vegetarian diet is frequently correlated with
longevity, there are many possible explanations.  The evidence is pretty
strong that eating red meats (especially processed meats) is associated
with disease and mortality, and that plentiful fruits and vegetables in the
diet are associated with health and longevity.  But I don't know of any
good evidence that, for example, eating fish in moderation with vegetables
is either more or less healthy than a pure vegetarian diet.  There are just
so many variables.

But I'm quite surprised if you find the evidence compelling that religious
vegetarians fare better than non-religious vegetarians.  This introduces
even more variables and chaos, with even less data, and no theoretical
framework to support it.

Of course, most vegetarians aren't doing it just for their personal health,
though that's often a contributing factor.  The major new impetus for
vegetarianism is climate change, and some call this movement
'climatarianism'.  Livestock production is thought responsible for about
25-50% of all anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions, and many climate
activists now see a major shift toward plant-based diets as the most
practical way to dramatically reduce greenhouse gases.  (This got a lot of
attention recently  when Bill Gates announced he became a vegetarian, for
reasons of both personal and planetary health:
http://www.examiner.com/article/vegetarian-bill-gates-livestock-produces-51-of-world-s-greenhouse-gases).

So based on available evidence, removing at least the mammals from your
diet seems very likely to be healthy for you, and others.

-Richard