HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Misty Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2017 22:21:18 -0400
Dear HistArchers,

I am working on a 19th c. Odawa site in northern Michigan that produced a clay pipe bowl with a ship on one side and a flag on the other. The flag appears to be a version of Canada’s prior to the current Maple Leaf. American-side Odawa went back and forth to Canada in the 19th c., especially in an effort to avoid removal, so the  pipe’s image is not surprising. If anyone has seen a similar pipe or could elaborate on the flag, it would be of great help.

See the pipe at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmjackson/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmjackson/>

Thanks.

Misty

Misty Jackson, Ph.D., RPA
Arbre Croche Cultural Resources,
214 South Main Street
Leslie, Michigan 49251
www.arbrecroche.com <http://www.arbrecroche.com/>
517-525-3060
Center for Maritime and
Underwater Resource Management
www.cmurm.org <http://www.cmurm.org/>

Arbre Croche Cultural Resources is a Woman-Owned Small Business

"I can testify that friendship has literally cured a fever, and the medicine of daily affection, a bad wound." Walt Whitman