HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lydia Garver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:01:44 -0500
Greetings to the Histarch Community,

I am seeking participants for a session on collaborative closure and the
“end” of public archaeology projects for the 2017 Society for American
Archaeology Meetings in Vancouver, British Columbia. I am looking for folks
working on a range of different kinds of projects and at various career
stages. Please see the call for papers below and share with others who may
be interested.

Thanks,

Lydia Garver

Call for Papers

Society for American Archaeology Meetings 2017

Vancouver, British Columbia

March 29 - April 2, 2017

Collaborative Closure: Addressing the End of Public Engagement

Collaborative Closure is a proposed electronic symposium for the 2017 SAA
Meetings in Vancouver, British Columbia, exploring what happens at the end
of community/public archaeology projects--a topic often overshadowed or
ignored in literature focused on their creation and development. We are
interested in case studies on this topic from a diverse group of
participants whose experience varies by employment affiliation, research
area, collaborative partners, career stage, and project scale and duration.
Presenters should use their experiences to critically engage the process of
project closure or transformation beyond active research. Potential areas
of inquiry could include what traits in a collaborating party make project
transition easier or more difficult, how career stages/changes affect
collaboration, whether mentors have any responsibility to the collaborators
of their students, and how to initiate and maintain conversation about the
end of a project. Additionally, as this session focuses on collaborative
closure, we encourage participants to engage their collaborators and
potentially include their views and concerns on this topic.

This session is a springboard for a publication project on this theme.

As an electronic symposium, papers are made available online at least one
month prior to the meetings. Papers are not read during the session and the
two-hour time block is dedicated to an in-depth discussion of the issues
raised in the papers. Participants will therefore need to have their paper
prepared and submitted to the session chair by February 15, 2017 to enable
online publication by the specified deadline. Participants should also plan
to read the other papers in the session and participate in the discussions
at the meetings.

TO PARTICIPATE: Please submit a working title and abstract of no more than
200 words by August 12, 2016 to Lydia Garver at [log in to unmask] Once
the participant list is finalized, I will provide additional information
regarding submission to the SAA system by the September 8th deadline.
Questions regarding this session can also be directed to the same email.

Individuals not able to participate in the SAA Session but interested in
the future publication project may also contact Lydia Garver at