HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Douglas Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:26:43 -0800
Kayla,

If they're transfer printed and Asian and date to the early 20th century,
then they're almost certainly Japanese. Japan adopted transfer printing in
the late 1880s, but as far as I know China did not use this technology
until the second half of the 20th century. There is little solid
information for refining dates of Japanese transfer wares in the early 20th
century, but I have suggested possible decorative trends that may help. See
my article for more details:

Ross, Douglas E. 2012. Late-Nineteenth and Early-Twentieth-Century Japanese
Domestic Wares from British Columbia. In Ceramics in America, edited by
Robert Hunter, pp. 2–29. Chipstone Foundation.

Doug

--
Douglas E. Ross
Instructor, Dept. of Archaeology, SFU