HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 2015 20:58:32 -0500
Ashley,

I think you will find it is always best to give as specific as possible
a location-and-description for your site of interest (if not able to
give-out actual UTM co-ordinates then a link to a box on a topo map
denoting a general area of interest, or mentioning the distance and
direction from the nearest town). And, any former owners' names
affiliated with the plant [if known] and the owners of the property on
which the site is located [or whether it is, or was, serviced by a
railroad spur, and its historical name]. You'll be amazed at how many
folks on this list have access to fabulous troves of historical maps,
manuscripts, documents, and photographs (and know even more like folks
who aren't on this list) ... and with more a more specific location (to
help narrow-in-on and distinguish YOUR site of interest from dozens of
others in such large databases ... which often do not have modern search
engines attached to them ... only rather decrepit ones, like me) ... you
might be surprised with with a treat of actual historical photos of your
gunpowder plant in operation!

Regards,
Bob Skiles