HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Meredith Linn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2015 15:58:54 -0400
Hi Susan,
Interesting question! It was also commonplace in rural Ireland into the
20th century for young boys to wear skirts.  Some explanations
supposedly offered
by locals to folklore collectors included protection from fairies (who were
sometimes said to prefer to "capture" male children over female children)
and a practical choice for toilet training. See pgs 228-231 in Cally
Blackman's 2014 article "Coloring the Claddagh" in *Costume, *Vol 48, no
2-- the article also contains early 20th-c photographs of the practice.

Best wishes,
Meredith Linn

--
Meredith Linn, Ph.D.