HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Nance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2014 20:25:53 +0000
I believe, as Rich suggested earlier, that this is a watch fob.  There's a similar item at this web site: http://www.drexelantiques.com/fishing2.html and others on Google images if you search "brass watch fob" or "antique watch fob."  The item he's holding could be an oar, but it reminds me of a logger's bark (or barking) spud.
Incidentally, if you Google "bark spud" you get not only tools, but also dogs and potatoes.

Ben

Benjamin C. Nance
Archaeologist Supervisor
Tennessee Division of Archaeology