HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2014 23:44:32 -0600
The only reference I can think of is:

Klenman, Allan
1990 Axe Makers of North America. Whistle Punk Books, Victoria, British
Columbia, Canada.

Weisgerber, Bernie
  1999  An Ax to Grind: A Practical Ax Manual. USDA Forest Service.
Technology and Development Program, 9923-2823-MTDC, Missoula, Montana.

Note: it shows about 28 ax head shapes each with a seperate name and
approximate weight.  It is a .pdf file of almost 12MB

"Around the turn of the 19th century, more
than 300 different ax-head patterns were being
manufactured in the United States. Many were
nearly identical. To simplify identifcation and
eliminate unnecessary or duplicate patterns,
the Ax Manufacturers’ Association agreed to set
a standard, which resulted in a standard chart
of ax patterns (Figure 9).

I can e-mail the latter if you want.  Contact me off-list.

--
Smoke Pfeiffer
Absence of Evidence is NOT Evidence of Absence.