HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ross Jamieson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2014 17:03:17 -0800
Hello All,

The SHA Gender and Minority Affairs Committee is sponsoring an anti-racism workshop on Wednesday, January 7 from 1-5 pm at the SHA 2015 Conference in Seattle. The goal of the workshop is to assist us (both as individuals and as a society) in beginning and strengthening our institutional interventions against racism. We have enlisted trainers from Crossroads to expose SHA members to a common language and mode of analysis, which will in turn assist us in forming a transformation team to develop effective long-term strategies. Participants will discuss how to understand racism as a systemic issue in the United States and by extension throughout the world—and not only as an issue of individual attitudes and actions. We will also discuss the racialization of our discipline, both historically and in our contemporary practices of pedagogy and scholarship, in an effort to understand how racism and other policies act as barriers to an all-inclusive SHA. This workshop will in turn explore approaches to dismantling racism that can provide the foundation for institutional interventions against systemic racism, specifically in our association and profession.

The success of the workshop is dependent upon participation by SHA leaders and members. Registration is free of charge, but space is limited. We hope you are able to register in advance and become part of this life-affirming conversation about who we are and who we want to be.

We look forward to seeing you on January 7 in Seattle.

The SHA Gender and Minority Affairs Committee

http://www.sha.org/blog/index.php/category/gender-and-minorities/