Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2014 14:38:13 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (51 lines)
If you have the time, drop an email to Patrick and let him know. I find this listserv immensely helpful and I have used it a handful of times to sort of crowd-source for comparable archaeological sites and contexts.

Corey McQuinn, RPA
Project Director/Marketing Manager
Hartgen Archeological Associates, Inc.
1744 Washington Ave Ext | Rensselaer NY 12144
p. 706.850.7509 | m. 518.364.2650
hartgen.com
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of HISTARCH automatic digest system [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2014 2:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: HISTARCH Digest - 7 Nov 2014 to 8 Nov 2014 (#2014-209)

There is 1 message totaling 28 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

1. Help with Unidentified Manufacturer's Mark on a Spoon

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 8 Nov 2014 05:23:39 -0500
Subject: Help with Unidentified Manufacturer's Mark on a Spoon

Can anyone identify the mark on the reverse side of the spoon, at the handle end, shown in the link below? Click on "Download" at upper right of screen.

https://www.academia.edu/9184242/Unidentified_Manufacturers_Mark_on_a_Spoon

The Monroe County Historical Museum in Monroe, Michigan, USA has this artifact cataloged as a silver spoon. The metal appears to be a copper-alloy (probably brass) base metal. The spoon may have been silver-plated, but the plating worn-off due to exposure of ground elements and weather. Seems too large for a tablespoon, possibly a soup or mixing spoon.

The artifact comes from the François Deloeuil (French-Canadian) house and blacksmith shop (1789-1866). Its provenience is: N40E40, Trench, Feature 26 (Originally Feature 2). The catalog no. is 1988.229.1103.

The mark is composed of four symbols in cartouche-like fashion with a possible size mark. From left-to-right, the symbols are: omega, an animal (?), a cross (Christian cross?), and the initials " I.Y". "No. 3" is perpendicular to the initials I.Y on its right. I suspect the mark is British, possibly that of Israel Yudelmann (cutlery and flatware maker) since three of the symbols on the spoon are similar to three of a Yudelmann mark dating 1905-1925. The spoon I suspect is a mid-nineteeth century artifact dating post-1830 or 1840, when German or nickel silver plating was in fashion.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cordially,

Patrick Tucker, RPA
Firelands Archaeological Research Center
Amherst, Ohio, USA

------------------------------

End of HISTARCH Digest - 7 Nov 2014 to 8 Nov 2014 (#2014-209)

ATOM RSS1 RSS2