HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2014 06:48:26 -0600
Here is an early DIY advice directed, to farmers and homeowners, on how
to build an "ice bin" in the corner of one's cellar, that I transcribed
from a footnote in an 1823 edition of the New England Farmer (Vol I, p
114):

p114 ... "For, with very little trouble or expense, ice may be kept in a
common cellar the whole season.*

* In the middle or one corner of the cellar may be built a bin. Throw
down some boards, and cover the bottom with straw; or, what is better,
the spent bark of tanneries, generally known by the name of tan, in
sufficient quantity to leave it a foot in thickness under the necessary
pressure. In the month of February or March, go to the most convenient
pond of fresh water, and obtain a sufficient quantity of ice, cutting or
sawing it up in blocks as large as can be conveniently handled, and pile
it up as compactly as possible in the bin, leaving a space of one foot
or more all around it; fill this space, and cover the whole with tan or
straw, and the ice, unless the cellar be uncommonly open, will keep the
ice the whole summer. Two men, and one pair of oxen, will perform all
the labour necessary to lay in such a store of ice in one day. Around
this ice let the pans of milk be set, and place the pots of cream and
butter upon it. Place  two or three pounds of ice in each box when the
butter is conveyed to market."

Regards,
Bob Skiles