HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:13:09 -0400
Thought I'd hold off til Smoke chimed in, but I found a Zachary Taylor
reed stem lead glazed red EW pipe at Ft Johnson, on Charleston Harbor
(SC). It was in a mixed context unfortunately, with 1850s to about 1910
components.

On 9/12/2014 9:18 PM, Smoke wrote:
> Whoops!  On that first reference, the author is Michael A. Pfeiffer
>
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Smoke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> You may want to check out:
>>
>>    2006  Clay Tobacco Pipes and the Fur Trade of the Pacific Northwest and
>> Northern Plains,
>>
>>               *Historic Clay Tobacco Pipe Studies Research Monograph* 1.  Phytolith
>> Press, Ponca City,
>>
>>               Oklahoma.
>>
>>               (Note: Published version of 1982 Master’s Thesis with added
>> Index, and author’s bio)
>>
>> And particularly:
>>

>> Pfeiffer, Michael A., Richard T. Gartley, and J. Byron Sudbury.
>>
>>    2006  President Pipes: Origin and Distribution. *The Wyoming
>> Archaeologist* 50(1):9-30. Spring
>>
>>              (actually printed in fall of 2008, paper copy was in B&W but
>> electronic copy was in color)).
>>

>> This second publication is available as a free downloadable .pdf on my
>> LinkedIn profile or I can send it to anyone who asks me off line.  You may
>> also want to check out Historic Clay Tobacco Pipe Studies at
>> http://www.claypipes.com/
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 7:46 AM, Corey McQuinn <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We recently found a tobacco pipe made for one of Benjamin Harrison's
>>> presidential campaigns (1888-1892) behind a grocery store/saloon in one of
>>> Albany, NY's poorer Irish communities at the time. I am looking for other
>>> examples of Benjamin Harrison (or other presidential pipes) in
>>> archaeological contexts, possibly for a paper topic. Take a look at pages
>>> 22 and 23 of the linked article for an example of what they look like. The
>>> pipe had Ben's face on one side and an eagle and shield on the other.
>>> Protection for American Labor was embossed on the stem. If you know your
>>> history, Harrison presided over the Homestead riots in Pennsylvania just
>>> months before his re-election campaign, and we all know how that turned
>>> out. Thanks!
>>> https://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/archinfo/SCHACPresidentPipes.pdf
>>>

>>> Corey McQuinn, RPA
>>> Project Director/Marketing Manager
>>>
>>> Hartgen Archeological Associates, Inc.
>>> 1744 Washington Ave Ext | Rensselaer NY 12144
>>> p. 706.850.7509 | m. 518.364.2650
>>> hartgen.com<http://www.hartgen.com/> | newsletter<
>>> http://tinyurl.com/hartgen-newletter> | facebook<