Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2012 21:11:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Linda: We have excavated three wells at the Presidio de Nstra.Snra. del Pilar de Los Adaes, the colonial capitol of Texas (circa 1723-1773) and now a Louisiana State Park. These match the documented maps we have of the fort and adjacent structures, They are about a metter and a half in diameter and more oval than 
round. They are dug to a depth of 2-3 meters through clay into what is now sterile sand. Like yours they are
completely filled with loads of bone, Indian, Spanish and other European sherds. We don't get the tiles but other artifacts: beads, etc. did occur. Gunparts, spur frags, etc.
Spanish speakers here refer to wells as "noria" which really is a waterlift structure and one of the ones we 
excavated we were able to find in situ the post the lift was attached to. It was a single post several feet back from the well pit. That well eas associated with a dwelling outside the fort. One other was located at the interior of the baluarte where the cannon were inside the fort. Contents were again day to day  "dumps".
You can find the reports at the Louisiana Division of Archaeology, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Check for the lift posts. Let me know if you find them. Rhanks
Sincerely, Pete Gregory

Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 11:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Spanish Colonial wells/privies

Hi HISTARCH'ers,

Does anyone know of any information on Spanish Colonial wells or privies? I have the 2009 glass bead report on St. Catherine's Island which discusses two wells, but does anyone know of anything else, particularly with regards to missions in California? Just this week we excavated a six foot deep cylindrical hole, about three feet in diameter, filled with roof and floor tiles, cattle bone, shell and glass beads, and some bone tools/objects. We are in the heart of the neophyte living area at Mission Santa Clara, which was occupied starting in 1781 and was used until the 1830's, possibly '40's. I don't have my field pics uploaded just yet, but can post a photo shortly if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Linda Hylkema, MA, RPA
Santa Clara University

Linda Hylkema, M.A., R.P.A.
Archaeological Research Lab
Ricard Memorial Observatory
Santa Clara University
500 E. El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA  95053
(408) 554-4513
(408) 551-1709 fax
[log in to unmask]