HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pete Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2012 21:11:59 -0500
Linda: We have excavated three wells at the Presidio de Nstra.Snra. del Pilar de Los Adaes, the colonial capitol of Texas (circa 1723-1773) and now a Louisiana State Park. These match the documented maps we have of the fort and adjacent structures, They are about a metter and a half in diameter and more oval than
round. They are dug to a depth of 2-3 meters through clay into what is now sterile sand. Like yours they are
completely filled with loads of bone, Indian, Spanish and other European sherds. We don't get the tiles but other artifacts: beads, etc. did occur. Gunparts, spur frags, etc.
Spanish speakers here refer to wells as "noria" which really is a waterlift structure and one of the ones we
excavated we were able to find in situ the post the lift was attached to. It was a single post several feet back from the well pit. That well eas associated with a dwelling outside the fort. One other was located at the interior of the baluarte where the cannon were inside the fort. Contents were again day to day  "dumps".
You can find the reports at the Louisiana Division of Archaeology, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Check for the lift posts. Let me know if you find them. Rhanks
Sincerely, Pete Gregory