HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kris Oswald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2014 07:26:30 -0400
Thanks for the info!

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
David W Babson
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2014 5:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ivy block lotion

I have often used strong lye soap, such as Fels Naptha or Octagon (brand
names) as a preventative for poison ivy.  This requires stopping at
least once an hour, when working in PI, to wash with the soap.  Develop
a thick lather on all areas of exposed skin (including the back of the
neck), and rinse thoroughly.  Of course, this works best in areas with a
reliable supply of clean water--washing in a stream, or other water
source with unknown origins, can give you worse problems than the rash
from poison ivy.  Still, I've found this method to work, and I'm very
allergic to PI, having been disabled by it for one-two weeks, several
times, when I was a child.  It's a problem for historical
archaeologists, especially in the northeast.  Poison ivy tends to be
thicker on disturbed soils, and it can be a marker for historic-period
sites, especially those occupied within the past 200 years.  I have
heard that the oil from poison oak, west of the Rockies, is either
stronger or more conc  entrated, and therefore this "lye method" may not
work as well for poison oak as it does on poison ivy.

D. Babson.