HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Katherine Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2014 13:06:30 -0400
Hi All,

I'm a Master's student at UMass Boston's Historical Archaeology program,
currently working on my thesis. My site is an 18th century home located at
Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, which operated later as an
orphanage from 1880 to 1915.

 I am using this later orphanage assemblage for my thesis and am currently
looking for a similar assemblage for comparison. I am mostly interested in
doing a simple comparison table by artifact type, just to better understand
and contextualize my own site.

I've found much documentary evidence on other Victorian orphanages, but it
would be great to have some artifact counts. The only other archaeological
study of a Victorian orphanage I've seen is Lois Feister's, which has been
very informative. I'm searching for another site, preferably in the US, but
one from England could make an interesting comparison as well. If anyone
could point me to such comparable data, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best,
Katherine Evans
--
----Katherine Evans