HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2013 10:25:56 -0500
Thanks to David Browman for his very reasonable comments on the issue of
"Indian" opposition to Lynne Sebastian's appointment to the Advisory Council.  I
couldn't agree more with his feeling that there is a rush to judgement in some
quarters on the basis of extremely one-sided attacks from a small number of
people.  To say that "the Tribes" oppose Lynne Sebastian's nomination is to
imply that the Indian Nations have risen up as one in their righteous wrath.
 This is not the case at all.

It frankly makes me very angry to see how ready people are to take part in the
sort of character assassination that is being cultivated here.  I for one want
to go on record as holding Lynne Sebastian in high regard: she is a smart,
articulate, collegial and fearless advocate for archaeology and historic
preservation in this country.  You can't be that kind of person without
offending somebody, and, although it's not popular to say so, it seems to me
that it's pretty easy to offend some Indians.  I think Lynne needs to hear some
support from the rest of us against this nonsense. Her voice needs to be heard
on ACHP: she will be speaking for archaeology.

These opinions are my own and are not to be construed as reflecting the opinions
or policies of my company or of any organization of which I am a member.

Ian Burrow