From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:02:22 -0600

Randy said:
> Of course it was--they paid for it!

The whole issue is now PR. Very similar to the long fought tobacco issue.

The tobacco giants ran out study after study showing tobacco was safe.
Finally a label for pregnant women. Finally a label by the surgeon general.
The tobacco lobby really won.

The only point won by people was if you quit smoking you will live longer
and healthier lives.

With the neonics the lesson in my opinion is to realize when your bees are
moved into areas of neonic use and you see problems then the person to blame
is the person in the mirror. I have saw beekeepers get burned several times
before the lesson hits home.

With the neonics *in my opinion* evidence will continue to build bees do
poorly around many neonics.
Bees dying will never draw the public outrage dying people do.

I would like to see a study posted on BEE-L of the profits seen quarterly by
Bayer and Syngenta from sale of the neonics and a list of the crops the
chemical giants are trying to get registered for use.
Amount spent in Washington yearly on lobbyists.

We can put a man on the moon but the only answer for pest control is
systemic chemical?

Maybe others  will post the above information to help add to the
discussion? (profits, crops & lobbyist funding)

If you go back an look at the tobacco fight the tobacco lobby never admitted
problems with their product. Denial and PR.

The neonic issue is *in my opinion* not winnable by beekeepers. Commercial
beekeepers have looked at the issue and as described by several in the
documentary "Vanishing of the Bees' is not going to end well for beekeepers.

I agree!

The old ways may work in the desert but in row crop areas beekeepers need to
be on their toes.

bob