From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 14:25:14 -0400
> and financed by Bayer Crop Science and Syngenta – the study team (Steffen
Noleppa, agripol; Thomas Hahn et al., a-connect) investigated the
socioeconomic and environmental contribution made by this technology to the
European Union across major crops and key countries. This work highlights
the game changing nature of neonicotinoid seed treatment, and the
catalysing role it plays in modern agriculture, as well as demonstrates the
impact should the technology no longer be available.What is a seed
treatment?

This is very much a Bayer/Syngenta report it seems to me.

>What would the impact be on global food production?

Maybe not nearly as much as the claims.  But certainly hard on the
companies bottom line.

> >Europe would also become a net importer of sunflower.

I would appreciate any info Bil Harley might have on this.  What was the
impact of the ban on neonicotinoids on sunflower in France?  Are sunflowers
no longer grown or did the acreage (is there a word hectareage?) decline.
Is France now a net importer of sunflower?

It is pretty sad commentary on agriculture today if it is completely
dependent on pesticides that have such a long residual lifetime in the soil
that they are still affecting non target crops and organisms in succeeding
crop years.

Stan