From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 08:33:45 -0800
There was one study on the shaking of queen cells some years ago.  They
found that the pupae were only susceptible to damage at about Day 10 after
grafting, when their wing pads were forming.

Re shaking of worker brood, yes will displace young larvae to one side of
the cell, but I haven't noticed that they are killed, as we often go back
to the same frames day after day, shaking bees off them.  But I haven't
counted formally.  Would be good to repeat the study that Jerry described,
simply marking and shaking a frame of larvae each day.

What I find DOES kill young larvae quickly is dessication, and perhaps UV.

>Shaking brood probably can cause damage without question.

How does one use the words "probably" and "without question" in the same
sentence????

>I have often wondered how capped brood feed.

The larva can turn around in the cell to feed.  Indeed, it must do so in
order to spin its cocoon.  It completes its feeding prior to spinning.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA