HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dessa Lightfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2016 09:27:02 -0400
Hello Histarch!

Jenna Carlson Dietmeier and I are organizing a paper session for the 2017
SHA focused on the historical archaeology of cattle and cattle husbandry
and are looking for people who are interested in contributing their work!
Below is the abstract for the session.  If you're interested, please feel
free to email me for more information or send an abstract to us at
[log in to unmask]  We're really looking forward to having a great
session!

Dessa E. Lightfoot, MA
Phd Candidate
Department of Anthropology
College of William and Mary

Abstract:

"In honor of Fort Worth’s storied history and continued involvement in the
American livestock industry, the papers presented in this session focus on
the zooarchaeological study of cattle and cattle husbandry across time and
space.  Since their domestication over 8,000 years ago, cattle have been
important sources of food, labor, leather, and social capital, amongst
other things.  The ways in which cattle are raised is heavily dependent on
the cultural context in which they are raised and the desired product(s)
from raising the cattle.  Thus, the study of cattle and cattle husbandry
from various times and locations in the past can illuminate our
understanding of the larger world in which these bovines lived.  From
market systems to butchery, ranching to dairy production, join us as we
look at past cultures through the remains of cattle and honor Fort Worth,
the original American Cowtown."