HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2016 07:14:55 -0500
 Lyle:
Whatever I might have known about pencil holders, I've long since forgotten. You might try some patent research. I suspect these were gifts/mementos and not especially useful for writing.
Many of the pencils found on school sites are broken, usually split. For the Michigan school sites we measured and statistically described the lengths. Some were used to the point of exhaustive (again, about one inch) and many likely were lost, usually, if memory serves, at around two to three inches.
Jim

James G. Gibb

Gibb Archaeological Consulting

2554 Carrollton Road

Annapolis, Maryland USA ?? 21403

443.482.9593 (Land) 410.693.3847 (Cell)

www.gibbarchaeology.net ? www.porttobacco.blogspot.com

On 04/19/16, Lyle E. Browning<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Is there a distinction between slate pencils that were used au naturelle and those used in holders? There are various very fancy (gold and silver) holders for pencils in the 19th century. Most recovered specimens seem to be the dog ends of those too short to be held.

Lyle Browning, RPA