HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alix Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2016 16:58:56 -0500
Hi All,
Here is a photo
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/0naqt1vurnllciv/2016-01-13%2015.20.42.jpg?dl=0>
of a small mug fragment we uncovered during this past summer's excavations
at a circa 1800 house, at Strawbery Banke Museum in Portsmouth, NH.  The
house's longest stretch of occupation was by an Irish immigrant family who
moved in as tenants in the mid-1800s, and later purchased the house in the
1870s, remaining there until the matriarch died in 1909.  This sherd was
uncovered from fill right below the front entry stairs that included
everything from 20th c. screws to 18th c. ceramics, but obviously dates
itself to sometime after the Civil War.  My lab volunteers have been
combing Google images for look-a-like soldiers -- so far there are two bets
on Ulysses S. Grant based on the stars on the shoulder marks.  Any ideas on
who and when this represents?  Was there a 19th c. set of commemorative
Union soldier mugs out there?
Thank you!  Nice to see some of you last week at SHA!
Best,
Alix

Alexandra Martin, M.A., RPA
Archaeologist, Strawbery Banke Museum
Lecturer, University of New Hampshire
PhD Candidate, The College of William & Mary
http://digsstrawberybanke.blogspot.com/