HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Dart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2016 20:19:08 -0700
For Immediate Release

Included in this announcement:

(1) Remembering Greg Cross

(2) Request for Your Support

(3) Upcoming Presentations, Classes, Tours, and Other Activities

(4) Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s youth education programs

(5) Our Mission

(6) Our Announcements and Opt-Out Options

(1) REMEMBERING GREG CROSS

      Sadly we note the recent passing of Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s
friend Greg Cross. Although he had no archaeological background, Greg took
over as the director of the Casa Malpais Museum in Springerville, Arizona,
after former director Linda Matthews retired. He then oversaw the museum’s
move into the Springerville Heritage Center, created some wonderful
archaeological and historical exhibits, and greatly expanded the museum’s
outreach into eastern Arizona.

      Please take a moment to remember and reflect on Greg and his legacy in
Arizona heritage. His wife Lynette is continuing Greg’s work at Casa Malpais
Museum as the current director.

(2) REQUEST FOR YOUR SUPPORT

      As we enter the new year, Old Pueblo Archaeology Center would like to
share with you some things we’re proud of having accomplished in 2015.

      Monthly Email Broadcasts: Upcoming activities listings of Old Pueblo
and other organizations, like the one you’re viewing here.

      Archaeological and Cultural Site Tours: We guided tours to the Los
Morteros and Picture Rocks archaeological sites on the Spring and Autumn
Equinoxes and on the Winter Solstice; to sites in the Homolovi State Park,
the Rock Art Ranch petroglyphs, and the Multi-Kiva site being investigated
by archaeologists from the Arizona State Museum; and to the Ventana Cave
National Historic Landmark site, Baboquivari Peak Sacred Cave, the Picture
Rock petroglyphs site, and the Himdag Ki Museum and Cultural Center on the
Tohono O'odham Indian Reservation.

      Third Thursday Food for Thought Dinners:  Our Third Thursday dinner
programs fea­tured these guest speakers and presentations:

      Historian Jim Tur­n­er, Under­pinnings of Southern Arizona
His­tor­ical Archaeol­o­gy: The Historical Record

      Rock art re­sear­cher Janine Hern­brode, An Inti­mate Look at a
Petroglyph Site: Can That Really Be a Flower?

      Ar­chaeologist Richard Lange, Arizona State Museum Re­search at Rock
Art Ranch: Filling in Space and Time

      Verde Valley Archaeology Center di­rec­tor Ken Zoll, The Billings­ley
Hopi Dancers

      Archaeolo­gy tech­nician Thom­as P. Robinson, Solar Petro­glyph
Interac­tion at Casa Malpais

      Gila River Indi­an Community Tri­bal Historic Pres­ervation Of­ficer
Barnaby V. Lew­is, An Akimel O'odham Per­spective on Archaeology

      Archae­ol­ogist Allen Dart, Ancient Native American Pot­tery of
Southern Ari­zona

      Archae­ologist Jeffery J. Clark, From Hohokam to Salado: The Kayenta
Diaspora in the Southwest

      Another eight Third Thursday dinner presentations are planned for 2016
in January-April and September-December.

      Classes and Workshops: Our offerings for 2015 included a Prehistoric
Corrugated Pottery Repli­ca­tion Workshop by ceramic artist Andy Ward;
Pre­history of the Southwest: The Hohokam Culture of Southern Arizona class
taught by archaeologist Al Dart (and offered for Arizona Archaeological
Society Certification); and an Arrowhead-making and Flint­knapping Workshop
with flintknapper Sam Greenleaf.

       Old Pueblo Archaeology Bulletin: The four issues that we published
electronically this year included feature articles titled Searching for
Geronimo: My Journeys with the Chiricahua Apache by Rebecca Orozco; Natural
History, Archaeology, and Cul­tures of Southern Arizona’s Ironwood Forest by
Royce E. Ballinger, Allen Dart, and Michael Heilen; Archaeological
Investigations in the Río Sahuaripa Region of Eastern Sonora, Mexico by John
Car­pen­ter; and Archaeology's Deep Time Perspective on Environment and
Social Sustainability by Al Dart.

      Old Pueblo’s Children’s Education Programs: Please see (4) Old Pueblo
Archaeology Center’s youth education programs below for descriptions of our
main children’s education programs. In 2015 we hosted our OPEN3 simulated
archaeological ex­ca­vation educa­tion program field trips for 34
class­rooms from 15 schools and 1 home-schooled group. Our instructors
presented an “An­cient People of Arizona” program in one class­room, and led
two classes to visit the Picture Rocks petroglyphs. And, in March (Arizona
Archaeology and Heritage Awareness Month) we held an “An­cestral Indian Life
Skills Day” program at the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument and offered
the "Vista del Rio Archaeology Celebration" children's learning activities
program in Tucson's Vista del Rio Cultural Resource Park in partnership with
the Vista del Rio Residents' Association.

      Did we do OK this year? We think so, but we could do better if we can
raise enough in donations to con­tinue and expand our children’s education
pro­grams. Many schools who want their students to par­ticipate in our
programs are in low-income areas so neither the schools nor their students’
parents can af­ford to cover our program fees. To make our pro­grams
available to them, Old Pueblo offers them classroom scholarships to offset
our program costs that we normally charge to participating classes to cover
program expenses, but we need donations to make those scholarships
available. If you’ve made a donation to Old Pueblo recently, please accept
our thanks. If not, won’t you please consider making a donation no later
than January 31st to help us help more schools cover our program costs?

      Donations by check can be made payable to “OPAC” and mailed to Old
Pueblo Archaeology Center, PO Box 40577, Tucson AZ 85717-0577. You can also
donate using a major credit or debit card by clicking on “Donation Form” at
Old Pueblo’s secure donations web page:

http://www.oldpueblo.org/about-us/donations/

      All of us at Old Pueblo Archaeology Center appreciate your support!

(3) UPCOMING PRESENTATIONS, CLASSES, TOURS, AND OTHER ACTIVITIES

Note that some activities listed here are sponsored by organizations other
than Old Pueblo Archaeology Center, and that some have deadlines for
preregistration.

*   One asterisk indicates that this is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology
Center-sponsored program and that another organization must be contacted to
register or to obtain more information.

** Two asterisks indicates that the activity is sponsored by the Pueblo
Grande Museum Auxiliary (PGMA) but that Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
members can attend at the PGMA‘s member-discount rates.

**** Four asterisks is a prompt for more information or to indicate that Old
Pueblo is missing some information.

Saturday January 2, 2016: Tubac, AZ

      “Walking Tour of Old Tubac” starting at Tubac Presidio State Historic
Park visitor center, 1 Burruel Street, Tubac, Arizona*

      10 a.m.-12 noon; $10 fee includes admission to tour the Presidio Park.

      Explore colorful Old Tubac, which even some of the locals don’t know
about! Guided by Connie Stevens, you’ll discover fascinating facts about the
town’s early adobe buildings and learn about Arizona’s first European
settlement. Topics from early Native American inhabitants, Spanish
explorers, American pioneers, Apache attacks, kidnappings, and other
exciting episodes are discussed. Meet at the Park’s Visitor Center. Allow 2
hours for the tour and wear walking shoes, sunscreen and a hat.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. Limited to 20
people; reservations requested. For more information call 520-398-2252 or
email [log in to unmask]

Monday January 4, 2016: Green Valley, AZ

      “Sobaipuri-O'odham Occupation in the Santa Cruz Valley with Special
Reference to Green Valley/Canoa” free presentation by archaeologist Deni J.
Seymour for La Frontera Corral of the Westerners at Casa Community Center,
780 S Park Centre Ave, Green Valley, AZ*

      3:30-5 p.m. Free

      Much has been learned about the Sobaipuri-O'odham over the last couple
of decades and their actual history differs substantially in many ways from
accepted notions. The archaeological and ethnohistoric research of the
presenter provides new perspectives on where and how they lived, how long
they occupied the valleys of southern Arizona, their relationship to the
Hohokam, and so on. Special reference will be made to her research in the
Santa Cruz Valley and how the Green Valley/Canoa area is relevant to
Sobaípuri settlement patterns.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information call 520-398-2344 or visit
http://www.westerners-international.org/content/corrals.html.

Wednesday January 6, 2016: Phoenix

      “The Billingsley Hopi Dancers” free presentation by Kenneth Zoll
sponsored by the nonprofit Pueblo Grande Museum Auxiliary (PGMA) at Pueblo
Grande Museum and Archaeological Park, 4619 E. Washington St., Phoenix*

      7:30-9 p.m. Free

       In 1921 the Hopi were told that “church people” petitioned Congress
to stop their “pagan” dancing. A platform was erected on the U.S. Capitol
steps where both Houses of Congress assembled with their families to see the
Hopi dancers. Following the performance, Congress passed a Resolution giving
the Hopi permission to carry on their dancing “for all time.” The dancers
continued to perform culminating in performances at Carnegie Hall in 1955.
The Verde Valley Archaeology Center and Hopi Tribe jointly received a grant
to preserve a rare 1957 film of the dancers. This presentation provides
background and shows the film.  Kenneth Zoll is the Executive Director of
the Verde Valley Archaeology Center in Camp Verde and a site steward
volunteer with the Arizona State Historic Preservation Office.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information visit www.pueblogrande.com <http://www.pueblogrande.com/>  or
call 602-495-0901.

Thursday January 7, 2016: Phoenix

      “Prehistoric Art: How to Think Like a Cro-Magnon” free presentation by
Cathie Rubins for Phoenix Chapter, Arizona Archaeological Society, at Pueblo
Grande Museum, 4619 E. Washington St., Phoenix*

      7 p.m. Free

      While we can only speculate about the reason for their creation,
ancient works discovered worldwide show that early human artists used a
variety of media and techniques in their creation of the first paintings,
engravings, and sculpture. Art of the prehistoric period is based upon the
same four elements of art (line, shape, color and texture) as are used by
artists throughout history and today. Cathie Rubins will examine both
ancient and modern works to explore objects as old as 30,000 years that
document our artistic heritage. Cathie has a BA in Art History from Arizona
State University and a BA in Theatre and Speech from the College of William
and Mary. Her main area of interest is art of the medieval period. In
addition to serving as a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, she also works
part-time as an event coordinator for ASU's Gammage Auditorium.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Nancy Unferth at 602-371-1165.

Friday January 8, 2016: Tubac, AZ

      “Chocolate! 1000 Years and Counting” activity at Tubac Presidio State
Historic Park, 1 Burruel Street, Tubac, Arizona*

      11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Included with park admission $5 adult, $2 youth,
children free

      Come discover the rich history of chocolate in the Southwest. Taste a
cacao bean, learn how the Mayans and pre-Columbian Native Americans prepared
their chocolate, and sample the energy drink that fueled the 1774 and 1775
Anza expeditions from Tubac to Alta California.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information call 520-398-2252 or email [log in to unmask]

Saturday January 9, 2016: Dragoon, AZ

      “Basketry and Navajo Weaving Trunk Show” plus 11 a.m. presentation
with Terry DeWald, dealer in Native American art, at the Amerind Foundation
Museum, 2100 N. Amerind Road, Dragoon, Arizona*

      10 a.m.-4 p.m. Free with museum admission

      Join Terry DeWald of Terry DeWald American Indian Art for this
basketry trunk show featuring vintage baskets from California and the
Greater Southwest, Navajo weavings, and modern contemporary Tohono O'odham
baskets. Mr. DeWald has been a prominent dealer, lecturer, appraiser, and
author in Native American art for more than 40 years.His father was a
journalist and photographer who covered the Southwest for Time and Life
magazines and other national publications. His mother was also a journalist
and author, and was one of the founding members of the Heard Museum in
Phoenix, Arizona.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information call 520-586-3666.

Sundays January 10, 17, and January 24, 2016: Tubac, AZ

      “Prehistoric Rio Rico Revealed” consecutive weekly presentations by
Dwight Thibodeaux at Tubac Presidio State Historic Park, 1 Burruel Street,
Tubac, Arizona*

      2 p.m. each Sunday; $7.50 per session includes admission to the Park;
for all three talks prepay $20 and get a special complimentary book

      Historian Dwight Thibodeaux spoke last winter about the history of
greater Rio Rico. To flash back on what happened in Rio Rico before Padre
Kino and the Spanish arrived, Dwight has developed a new series of talks on
prehistoric Rio Rico. They will be presented on three successive Sunday
afternoons. In Part I learn about how Mother Nature created the Rio Rico
area and the Santa Cruz River. In Part 2 we'll learn about prehistoric
plants and animals (including dinosaurs and a massive petrified forest). And
in Part 3 we'll hear about the prehistoric people who lived here and learn
about their many villages in the Rio Rico area.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information call 520-398-2252 or email [log in to unmask]

Wednesday January 13, 2016: Cave Creek, AZ

      “A Synthetic Review of Hohokam Archaeology, AD 1694-Present” free
presentation by archaeologist Dr. David Wilcox for Desert Foothills Chapter,
Arizona Archaeology Society, at Good Shepherd of the Hills Episcopal Church
community building, 6502 East Cave Creek Road, Cave Creek, AZ*

      7-9 p.m. Free

      Dr. Wilcox first will review the first 10,000 years of American
archaeology and comparisons elsewhere in the Americas to define its larger
context. Then, by charting chronologically the growth of knowledge about
Hohokam archaeology focusing on the sites of Casa Grande, Pueblo Grande,
Snaketown, and La Ciudad de los Hornos, he will widen the focus to the North
American Southwest and end with the question of “whence the Hohokam?.”

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Kathryn Frey at 480-575-6754 or [log in to unmask]

Wednesday January 13, 2016: Winslow, AZ

      “Archaeology of Jerusalem: New Findings” free presentation by Dr.
Miles Gilbert for Homolovi Chapter, Arizona Archaeology Society, at the
Winslow Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center (Historic Lorenzo Hubbell Trading
Post), 523 W. Second St, Winslow, AZ*

      7 p.m. Free

      Dr. Gilbert will discuss recent finds, especially around Jerusalem,
that verify the existence of Hebrews there since the 13th century BC. For
example, Pharaoh Merneptah claimed to have wiped out Israel by name in 1208
BC; King Mesha of  Moab claimed victory over Israel by name in 850 BC; King
Hezekiah was on the throne in Jerusalem in 700 BC and his personal seal is
one of over 20 seals of individuals mentioned in the Bible that have been
found. You can also join Chapter members and the speaker for dinner at 5
p.m. at the Historic La Posada Turquoise Room (on your own tab).

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Sky Roshay at 928-536-3307.

Wednesday January 13, 2016: Queen Creek, AZ

      “Plants of the Sonoran Desert” free ethnbotany presentation by Dave
Morris for San Tan Chapter, Arizona Archaeological Society, at San Tan
Historical Society Museum, 20435 S. Old Ellsworth Road (southeast corner of
Ellsworth and Queen Creek Roads), Queen Creek, AZ*

      7:30 p.m. Free

      Dave Morris will discuss Sonoran Desert plants that have provided for
Native Americans in the Southwest for hundreds of years. He will examine
some of the plants used by southwestern peoples for food, medicine, and
spiritual needs. Learn about the adaptations of desert plants and the
biology that make them useful. Some of the plants have been used since
prehistoric times and continue to be used today. A resident of southern
Arizona for over 40 years, Dave is a member of the Choctaw Nation of
Oklahoma. He received a Plant Sciences degree in from Northern Arizona
University, is a retired museum aide with the Pueblo Grande Museum in
Phoenix, and also works with the Boyce Thompson Arboretum, Friends of the
Sonoran Desert National Monument, and the Arizona Site Stewards to offer
programs and hikes featuring the archaeology, ethnobotany, and Native
American history of southern Arizona.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Marie Britton at 480-827-8070.

Thursday January 14, 2016: Tucson

      “Making Archaeology Public” panel discussion at Southwest Symposium
opening session for the public at the Scottish Rite Temple, 160 S. Scott
Ave., Tucson*

      7-9 p.m. Free

      2016 marks 50 years since grassroots preservationists successfully
worked with Congress to pass the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA),
a United States law that acknowledges the importance of our national
heritage and that instructs federal agencies to be good stewards of that
heritage. One effect of this law has been a massive expansion of publicly
funded archaeological work carried out in advance of construction projects.
This work, in turn, has resulted in tremendous new understandings of Native
American and immigrant histories in the United States and its territories.

The Making Archaeology Public Project (MAPP) is a nationwide effort to
highlight just a few of the many significant insights that have come to
light since the passage of NHPA. Archaeologists in each state are working
within their communities to select one of the many engaging stories that
have come to light and to share them with the public to celebrate the last
50 years of archaeological investigations. The ultimate goal is a website,
which will include links to videos that exemplify the ways that NHPA has
changed our understanding of the past. In this Southwest Symposium opening
session Lynne Sebastian, an archaeologist and historic preservation
enthusiast, will host a panel discussion with MAPP leaders from the western
states who will share the national and state projects, ranging from finding
the first farming settlements in North America in the Tucson Basin to the
way thousands of tiny projects in New Mexico tell big stories about the
ancient past.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information visit
www.regonline.com/builder/site/default.aspx?EventID=1655911.

Thursday-Saturday January 14-16, 2016: Tucson

      “5th Biennial Southwest Symposium” on the theme of “Engaged
Archaeology” at the University of Arizona Student Union Memorial Center,
1303 E. University Blvd., Tucson*

      5 p.m. Thursday-5 p.m. Saturday; fees before Dec. 1, 2015: $80 regular
attendees, $40 students; after Dec. 1: $100 regular, $50 students

      The Southwest Symposium promotes new ideas and directions in the
archaeology of the United States Southwest and the Mexican Northwest. The
2016 symposium focuses on Engaged Archaeology, showcasing collaborative and
participatory work with descendant groups and local communities, public
archaeology, and interdisciplinary work, in spoken and poster sessions.
Presentations demonstrate how engaged archaeology results in new
understandings of the past and broadens the relevance of archaeology.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. Register at
regonline.com/southwestsymposium; for more information contact Sarah Herr at

Saturday January 16, 2016: Ajo, AZ

      TOUR IS FULL; WAITING LIST STARTED. “Charlie Bell Canyon Petroglyphs
and Archaeology Tour” with Rick and Sandi Martynec in Cabeza Prieta National
Wildlife Refuge west of Ajo, Arizona; depart in car caravan from Pima
Community College, 401 N. Bonita Ave., Tucson; or Cabeza Prieta National
Wildlife Refuge (CPNWS) headquarters, 611 N. 2nd Ave., Ajo

      6:30 a.m.-7 p.m. if joining car caravan from Tucson or 9 a.m.-4:30
p.m. if meeting tour in Ajo (end times are estimates only); $45 ($36 for Old
Pueblo Archaeology Center and Pueblo Grande Museum Auxiliary members)

      The Charlie Bell Well locality in the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife
Refuge (CPNWS) near Ajo, Arizona, includes more than 3,000 petroglyphs, most
of them attributed to the Archaic (ca. 8000 BC-AD 500) and Patayan (ca. AD
500-1500) archaeological cultures. There are also ancient Native American
trails, archaeological features, and artifacts in the canyon near the
historic well site. Upon arrival at CPNWS headquarters at 9 a.m. we will
drive approximately 1½ hours to the Charlie Bell Well trailhead, then hike
about ¾-mile (another hour) to reach the petroglyphs. There is a 750-foot
elevation drop from the parking area to the well, so participants can expect
to be chugging back up the hill on the return hike to the vehicles.

      Cautions: Participants must each bring water and lunch, are advised to
wear hats and sunscreen. At the CPNWS check-in point in Ajo one must show a
government-issued ID, describe your vehicle, obtain an entry permit, and
sign a Hold Harmless agreement for the Department of Defense before entering
the refuge. High-clearance vehicles are required for the roads in the CPNWS
and 4-wheel drive is recommended. Carpooling is required once we rendezvous
in Ajo because CPNWS limits the number of vehicles that can be taken into
the wildlife refuge. You may want to plan to spend the night in Ajo.

      Reservations required by 5 p.m. Wednesday January 13: 520-798-1201 or

      **** IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about
the above-listed activity please reply with “Send flyer” and INCLUDE THE
EVENT’S DATE in your email subject line.

Saturday January 16, 2016: Tubac, AZ

      “Walking Tour of Old Tubac” starting at Tubac Presidio State Historic
Park visitor center, 1 Burruel Street, Tubac, Arizona*

      10 a.m.-12 noon; $10 fee includes admission to tour the Presidio Park.

      Explore colorful Old Tubac, which even some of the locals don’t know
about! Guided by Connie Stevens, you’ll discover fascinating facts about the
town’s early adobe buildings and learn about Arizona’s first European
settlement. Topics from early Native American inhabitants, Spanish
explorers, American pioneers, Apache attacks, kidnappings, and other
exciting episodes are discussed. Meet at the Park’s Visitor Center. Allow 2
hours for the tour and wear walking shoes, sunscreen and a hat.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. Limited to 20
people; reservations requested. For more information call 520-398-2252 or
email [log in to unmask]

Saturday January 16, 2016: Payson, AZ

      “The Great Bend of the Gila National Monument” free presentation by
archaeologist Aaron Wright for Rim Country Chapter, Arizona Archaeological
Society, in the Fellowship Hall of the Church of the Holy Nativity, 1414
Easy Street, Payson, AZ*

      10 a.m. Free

      At the Rim Country Chapter’s first meeting of the new year, guest
speaker Aaron Wright will discuss the campaign for creation of the Great
Bend of the Gila National Monument. Snacks and refreshments will be
available, and guests are welcome.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Carolyn Walter at 928-474-4419.

Monday January 18, 2016: Tucson

      “Can Pueblo Corn Save African Farms? Employing 1,400 Years of
Agricultural Knowledge in Service of the Future” free presentation by R.
Kyle Bocinsky at Arizona Archaeological and Historical Society meeting,
Banner University Medical Center DuVal Auditorium, 1501 N. Campbell Ave.,
Tucson*

      7:30-9 p.m. Free

      Traditional crops and farming practices are not only nutritionally,
economically, and spiritually important to human communities, they are also
reservoirs of resilience encapsulating generations of traditional agronomic
and environmental knowledge. AAHS’s guest speaker discusses whether that
knowledge can be used to improve global food security, using data from the
MAÍS project, an experimental grow-out of 155 different traditional Pueblo
maize varieties that took place in Iowa and New Mexico in 2004 and 2005, as
well as a state-of-the-art maize growth model. Historic weather data and
future climate projections in southwestern Ethiopia suggest drought- and
heat-resistant Pueblo maize varieties can provide a more stable and
sustainable subsistence base for Ethiopian farmers than commercial hybrids
currently under cultivation. Perhaps more importantly, Pueblo farming
practices—developed in the drought-prone and highly variable Southwest—may
help inform adaptive shifts by subsistence farmers worldwide.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center-sponsored event. No
reservations needed. For details visit www.az-arch-and-hist.org
<http://www.az-arch-and-hist.org/>  or contact John D. Hall at Tucson
telephone 520-205-2553 or [log in to unmask]

Monday January 18, 2016: Springerville, AZ*

      “Excavation of the Multi-Kiva Site near Winslow” free presentation by
Arizona Site Steward Darlene Brinkerhoff for Little Colorado River Chapter,
Arizona Archaeology Society, in the Springerville Heritage Center Udall
Johnson Room, 418 E. Main St., Springerville AZ*

      6:30 p.m. business meeting, 7 p.m. program; free

      Ms. Brinkerhoff, who worked as a crew chief on the excavations at the
Multi-Kiva site under the direction of archaeologist Richard Lange (Arizona
State Museum, University of Arizona), will discuss the site and the recent
excavations there.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Carol Farnsworth at 928-333-3219 or [log in to unmask]

Tuesday January 19, 2016: Phoenix

      “Archaeology Café: Canal Irrigation Studies on the Gila River Indian
Community and Modern Water-Rights Issues” free presentation by Kyle Woodson
and Wesley Miles at

Macayo’s Restaurant, 4001 N. Central Ave., Phoenix*

      5:30 p.m. seating and dinner ordering, presentation begins after 6
p.m. Free

      Archaeologists Kyle Woodson and Wesley Miles will discuss the Gila
River Indian Community’s long-term cultural resource management study of
Hohokam canal irrigation along the middle Gila River, conducted in
conjunction with the Pima-Maricopa Irrigation Project. This long-term study
has provided a wealth of new information on ancient Hohokam canal systems
and irrigated fields including creation of a greatly clarified canal system
map, excavated canal segments, and new understandings of the canal systems’
layout, size, capacity, development through time, and the social
organization of irrigation management and canal labor. Archaeology Café is
an informal forum where adults can learn more about the Southwest’s deep
history and speak directly to experts. The program is free but participants
are encouraged to order their own refreshments. The 2015–2016 season is made
possible in part by Arizona Humanities.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Linda Pierce at 520-882-6946 ext. 23 or

Wednesday January 20, 2016: Phoenix

      “Ancient Southwestern Native American Pottery” free presentation by
archaeologist Allen Dart for Heard Museum Guild's "history of pottery"
series at the Heard Museum’s Steele Auditorium, 2301 N. Central Ave.,
Phoenix*

      10-11 a.m. Free

      Archaeologist Allen Dart shows Native American ceramic styles that
characterized specific eras in the U.S. Southwest prior to about 1300, and
discusses how archaeologists use pottery for dating archaeological sites and
interpreting ancient lifeways. He discusses the importance of context in
archaeology, how the things people make change in style over time, and how
different styles are useful for identifying different cultures and for
dating archaeological sites. His many illustrations include examples of
ancient pottery types made throughout the American Southwest from about 2000
to 700 years ago, as a prelude to the Heard’s January 28 and February 4
presentations about post-1300 Acoma, Hopi, and other Southwestern pottery
types.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Pat Kilburn at 623-546-0764 or [log in to unmask]

Wednesday January 20, 2016: Paradise Valley, AZ

      “Introduction to Prehistory of the Southwest” 2-hour course taught by
archaeologist Dr. Doss Powell at Black Mountain Campus of Paradise Valley
Community College, Paradise Valley, AZ*

      7-9 p.m. Free for Arizona Archaeological Society and Desert Foothills
Chapter members only

      This course provides a BASIC overview of archaeology in the Southwest
incorporating discussions of cultural sequences, subsistence strategies,
abandonment, and the general characteristics of the major cultural groups in
the prehistoric Southwest.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. Desert Foothills
Chaptger members have priority signing up. You must be registered prior to
the event. For more information email [log in to unmask]

Thursday January 21, 2016: Tucson

      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Third Thursday Food for Thought”
dinner featuring the presentation “Apaches and Their Horses” by
archaeologist Dr. Deni J. Seymour at ULike Asian Buffet Restaurant, 330 S.
Wilmot Rd., Tucson

      6 to 8:30 p.m. Free (Order your own dinner off of the restaurant’s
menu)

      Some scholars and others think the people now known as Apache did not
become Apache until the adoption of the horse--which is said to have
triggered the raiding adaptation. In this presentation Dr. Seymour, an
internationally recognized authority on protohistoric and historic Native
American and Spanish colonial archaeology and ethnohistory, addresses this
and many other notions about the Apache and their horses. No doubt, horses
played a central role in the Apachean world but the horse divide is not as
pronounced as thought. She will discuss various ways in which horses changed
the ancestral Apache lifeway, how horses survived and thrived without
European horse culture, how horses shaped warfare and intercultural
relations, and how horses were intertwined with family and inter-band
relations through horse trading and gambling. While the horse is maintained
in contemporary culture, archaeological traces document the animal’s
historical role in rock art, horse bones, landscape use, and artifacts.

      Guests may select and purchase their own dinners from the restaurant’s
menu. There is no entry fee but donations will be requested to benefit Old
Pueblo’s educational efforts. Because seating is limited in order for the
program to be in compliance with the Fire Code, those wishing to attend must
call 520-798-1201 and must have their reservations confirmed before 5 p.m.
Wednesday January 20.

      **** IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about
the above-listed activity please reply with “Send flyer” and INCLUDE THE
EVENT’S DATE in your email subject line.

Thursday January 21, 2016: Tucson

      “Pimeria Alta Missions’ Influence on Visitor Center Design at
Tumacácori National Historical Park” free brownbag presentation by Alex B.
Lim sponsored by Arizona Pathfinders in the Arizona History Museum
Auditorium, 949 East Second St., Tucson*

      6 p.m. Free

      In the early 1930s the Visitor Center in Tumacácori National
Historical Park was designed as an interpretative tool for visitors,
reinforced by its physical layout, interior and exterior details, museum
exhibits and close proximity with the ruins of Mission San Jose de
Tumacácori. All this reinforces the ruined Mission’s place in the greater
Pimeria Alta mission chain, founded by Jesuit missionary Father Eusebio
Kino. Lim’s presentation will focus on the Visitor Center’s planning and
construction, including the design team’s 1935 excursion to Sonora, Mexico,
to study Tumacácori’s sister missions. He will show how the current Visitor
Center resulted from studies of Franciscan church design, an understanding
and appreciation of local history, and the energy of a newly developed
governmental agency called the National Park Service, now celebrating its
2016 Centennial. Speaker Alex B. Lim is an architectural conservator with
the National Park Service at Tumacácori National Historical Park (TUMA)
during the week, and spends weekends exploring the Sonoran Desert’s numerous
cultural diversities including food, landscape and people. This is a Brown
Bag meeting so bring your own meal. Pathfinders’ Board provides dessert and
coffee, and an exciting silent auction will be held. There is free parking
one block west of the museum in the Arizona Historical Society garage at the
northeast corner of E. Second St. and North Euclid Ave. (Use the Second
Street entrance.)

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Arizona Pathfinders at [log in to unmask]

Thursday January 21, 2016: Glendale, AZ

      “Masters of Prophecy: Religion, Identity, and the Fate of the
Etruscans in the Context of Roman Italy” free lecture by Daniele F. Maras at
Kiva Hall, Arizona State University West Campus, 4701 W Thunderbird Rd,
Glendale, AZ*

      6 p.m. Free

      The so-called mystery of the Etruscans rests on three major issues
attached to their perception by ancient authors and the modern public: their
inscrutable origins, their unparalleled language, and their peculiar
religion. While the first two issues have interested especially ancient
Greek sources and modern scholars, the features of Etruscan religious
practices are a recurring motif of Latin literature. In fact, in the Roman
world, the Etruscans enjoyed a long-lasting fame as clever seers, especially
regarding their ability as haruspices, that is to say, priests able to read
future events within the entrails of sacrifice victims. The foundation of
this ancient religious tradition was the so-called Etrusca Disciplina: a
collection of original knowledge and prescriptions, which had been revealed,
according to tradition, by the mythical child genie Tages at the very
beginning of Etruscan history. Dr. Daniele Maras of the Pontificia Accademia
Romana di Archeologia specializes in Classical archaeology, Etruscology,
Classical religion and mythology, Latin and Pre-Roman epigraphy, and ancient
art history.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Almira F. Poudrier at [log in to unmask]

Friday January 22, 2016: Tubac, AZ

      “Chocolate! 1000 Years and Counting” activity at Tubac Presidio State
Historic Park, 1 Burruel Street, Tubac, Arizona*

      11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Included with park admission $5 adult, $2 youth,
children free

      Come discover the rich history of chocolate in the Southwest. Taste a
cacao bean, learn how the Mayans and pre-Columbian Native Americans prepared
their chocolate, and sample the energy drink that fueled the 1774 and 1775
Anza expeditions from Tubac to Alta California.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information call 520-398-2252 or email [log in to unmask]

Saturday January 23, 2016: Tucson

      "Archaeology's Deep Time Perspective on Environment and Social
Sustainability" free presentation by archaeologist Allen Dart for Pima
County Public Library at the Joel Valdez Main Library, 101 N. Stone Ave.
Tucson; cosponsored by Arizona Humanities*

      11 a.m. to noon. Free

      The deep time perspective that archaeology and related disciplines
provide about natural hazards, environmental change, and human adaptation
not only is a valuable supplement to historical records, it sometimes
contradicts historical data used by modern societies to make decisions
affecting social sustainability and human safety. What can be learned from
scientific evidence that virtually all prehistoric farming cultures in
Arizona and the Southwest eventually surpassed their thresholds of
sustainability, leading to collapse or reorganization of their societies?
Could the disastrous damages to nuclear power plants damaged by the Japanese
tsunami of 2011 have been avoided if the engineers who decided where to
build those plants had not ignored evidence of prehistoric tsunamis? This
presentation looks at archaeological, geological, and
sustainable-agricultural evidence on environmental changes and how human
cultures have adapted to those changes, and discusses the value of a "beyond
history" perspective for modern society. The program is made possible by
Arizona Humanities.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact librarian Matt Landon at 520-594-5565 or
[log in to unmask]; for information about the presentation topic contact
Allen Dart at 520-798-1201 or [log in to unmask]

Saturdays January 23 & 30, February 6 & 13, 2016: Tucson

      CLASS IS FULL; WAITING LIST STARTED. “Basic Traditional Pottery Making
Workshop” with Andy Ward at Old Pueblo Archaeology Center, 2201 W. 44th
Street, just west of La Cholla Blvd., ½-mile north of John F. Kennedy Park,
Tucson

      2 to 5 p.m. each Saturday; Fee $79 ($63.20 for Old Pueblo Archaeology
Center and Pueblo Grande Museum Auxiliary members) includes all materials
except clay, which participants will collect during class field trip

      A series of four clay-gathering and pottery-making class sessions will
be offered by artist Andy Ward on four Saturday afternoons January 23
through February 13, 2016, including a clay-gathering field trip on January
23. The class is designed to help modern people understand how prehistoric
Native Americans made and used pottery, and is not intended to train
students how to make artwork for sale. The course introduces some history of
southwestern Ancestral and Modern Pueblo, Mogollon, and Hohokam
pottery-making, includes a field trip in which participants dig their own
clay, and demonstrates initial steps in forming, shaping and smoothing
bowls, jars, and other forms of hand-built pottery using traditional
hand-building techniques, gourd scrapers, mineral paints, and yucca brushes
instead of modern potters' wheels and paint.

      Reservations required: 520-798-1201 or [log in to unmask]

      **** IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about
the above-listed activity please reply with “Send flyer” and INCLUDE THE
EVENT’S DATE in your email subject line.

Thursday January 28, 2016: Sedona, AZ

      “Historic Indian Trails of the Verde Valley and the General Crook
Trail” free presentation by Jerry Ehrhardt for Verde Valley Chapter, Arizona
Archaeological Society, at the Sedona public Library, 3250 White Bear Rd.,
Sedona, AZ*

      7 p.m. Free

      Archaeological surveys conducted over the past 11 years by Jerry
Ehrhardt and other AAS Verde Valley Chapter members have identified over 400
prehistoric and historic Indian sites and about 10 historic trails in a
150-square-mile area bounded by West Clear Creek, Fossil Creek, the Mogollon
Rim, and the Verde River. The numerous ceramic types found in these surveys
indicate that prehistoric Indians had a vast trade and exchange network with
contemporary pueblos and settlements to the north and east of the Verde
Valley. How these prehistoric peoples traded with each other and the routes
they followed into the Verde Valley are unknown but there are historical
records of Indian trails documented first by the Spanish in the 16th century
and by the American trappers and explorers during the early 19th century.
One of the earliest historic Indian trails recorded in the Verde Valley is
now known as the General Crook Trail, which went about 150 miles from Fort
Whipple (Prescott) to Cooley’s Ranch (Show Low), and the road to Camp
Apache. The unique alignment of prehistoric habitations and pueblos along
the Crook Trail suggests that it may have been a prehistoric trade route to
the Verde Valley from contemporaneous settlements to the east.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information contact Nancy Bihler at 928-203-5822.

Saturday February 13, 2016: Florence, AZ

      “Annual Florence Historic Home Tour” beginning at Jacques Square, 291
N. Main St., Florence, AZ*

      10 a.m.-4 p.m. $10 in advance for adults or $12 the day of the event
(visitors under 18 free); ; through Friday February 12,you can buy tickets
online or in person at the Florence Parks and Recreation Department, the
Greater Florence Chamber of Commerce, or the Pinal County Historical Society
and Museum. On the day of the tour, tickets are available at Jacques Square,
291 N. Main Street.

      Unique homes and buildings are featured on this historic home tour.
The planned route provides for a leisurely stroll through Main Street or you
can hop a ride to some of the outlying buildings. In addition to the tour,
the Pinal County Historical Society Museum at 715 S. Main St. will present a
special “150 Years of Fashion” exhibit commemorating Florence’s
Sesquicentennial.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. For more
information call 520-868-7699 or visit
https://apm.activecommunities.com/florenceparkandrec/Activity_Search/1460.
For more information on the Museum exhibit call 520-868-4382 or visit
www.pinalcoutyhistoricalmuseum.org
<http://www.pinalcoutyhistoricalmuseum.org/>  .

Monday February 15, 2016: Tucson

      “It’s All About Scale: Polity and Alliance in Prehistoric Central
Arizona” free presentation by archaeologist Dr. David Abbott at Arizona

      ****Description coming.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center-sponsored event. No
reservations needed. For details visit www.az-arch-and-hist.org
<http://www.az-arch-and-hist.org/>  or contact John D. Hall at Tucson
telephone 520-205-2553 or [log in to unmask]

Thursday February 18, 2016: Tucson

      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Third Thursday Food for Thought”
dinner featuring a presentation about archaeology of the Southwest’s Mimbres
region with UNLV Professor Barbara J. Roth at a Tucson restaurant to be
announced

      6 to 8:30 p.m. Free (Order your own dinner off of the restaurant’s
menu)

      ****Description coming.

      Guests may select and purchase their own dinners from the restaurant’s
menu. There is no entry fee but donations will be requested to benefit Old
Pueblo’s educational efforts. Because seating is limited in order for the
program to be in compliance with the Fire Code, those wishing to attend must
call 520-798-1201 and must have their reservations confirmed before 5 p.m.
Wednesday February 17.

      **** IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about
the above-listed activity please reply with “Send flyer” and INCLUDE THE
EVENT’S DATE in your email subject line.

Saturday February 20, 2016: Tohono O'odham Nation, AZ

      “Rock Art and Archaeology of Ventana Cave” Old Pueblo Archaeology
Center car-caravan educational tour with archaeologist Allen Dart departing
from Tucson at the Park & Ride parking lot at I-10 and Ruthrauff Rd.
(northeast corner of the I-10 westbound Frontage Road at Exit 252) or at 7
a.m. on the east (front) side of the McDonalds Restaurant at 3160 N. Toltec
Rd. in Eloy (accessible from I-10 Exit 203)

      6 a.m. (Tucson departure) or 7 a.m. (Eloy departure) to 3 p.m. Fee $40
($32 for Old Pueblo Archaeology Center and Pueblo Grande Museum Auxiliary
members; no charge for members or employees of the Tohono O’odham Nation)

      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center offers this early-morning car-caravan
tour onto the Tohono O’odham Nation to visit the Ventana Cave National
Historic Landmark site. During the Arizona State Museum’s 1940s excavations
in the cave, led by archaeologists Emil W. Haury and Julian Hayden, evidence
was found for human occupation going back from historic times to around
10,000 years ago. The cave, which actually is a very large rockshelter, also
contains pictographs, petroglyphs, and other archaeological features used by
Native Americans for thousands of years. Tour leaves Tucson at 6 a.m. to
ensure the pictographs can be seen in the best morning light. Fees will
benefit the Tohono O’odham Hickiwan District’s efforts to develop a
caretaker-interpretive center at Ventana Cave, and the nonprofit Old Pueblo
Archaeology Center’s education programs.

      Reservations required by Wednesday February 17: 520-798-1201 or

      **** IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about
the above-listed activity please reply with “Send flyer” and INCLUDE THE
EVENT’S DATE in your email subject line.

Sunday February 28, 2016: Sedona, AZ

      "Arts and Culture of Ancient Southern Arizona Hohokam Indians" free
presentation by archaeologist Allen Dart at Red Rock State Park, 4050 Red
Rock Loop Rd., Sedona, Arizona, cosponsored by the Arizona Humanities*

      2-3 p.m. Free

      The Hohokam Native American culture flourished in southern Arizona
from the sixth through fifteenth centuries. Hohokam artifacts, architecture,
and other material culture provide archaeologists with clues for identifying
where the Hohokam lived, interpreting how they adapted to the Sonoran Desert
for centuries, and explaining why their culture mysteriously disappeared. In
this presentation archaeologist Allen Dart illustrates the material culture
of the Hohokam and presents possible interpretations about their
relationships to the natural world, time reckoning, religious practices,
beliefs, and deities, and possible reasons for the eventual demise of their
way of life, using rich illustrations of Hohokam arti­facts, rock art, and
other cultural features. The program is made possible by Arizona Humanities.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center-sponsored event. For
event details contact Eric Buzonas in Sedona at 928-282-6907 or
[log in to unmask]; for information about the activity subject matter
contact Allen Dart at Tucson telephone 520-798-1201 or [log in to unmask]

Saturday March 5, 2016: Coolidge, AZ

      “Arizona Archaeology Expo” at Casa Grande Ruins National Monument,
1100 W. Ruins Drive, Coolidge, Arizona*

      9 a.m.-4 p.m. Free

      The Arizona Archaeology Expo is the main event of the annual Arizona
Archaeology and Heritage Awareness Month in March. Held in a different
community each year, the Expo features archaeology-related hands-on
activities, craft demonstrations, and other fun and educational events. The
National Park Service is celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2016 and is
the host for this year’s Expo, for which the theme is “Heritage Matters: The
Past Begins Today.” The Expo features displays by archaeological and
historical organizations, museums, Native American tribes, state and federal
agencies, and others, allowing visitors to participate as archaeologists
might in their research today, or make crafts and tools that teach how
prehistoric Native Americans and other early inhabitants survived in the
Southwest. Cultural and historical demonstrations, talks by archaeologists,
and interactive activities will help make the past come alive, and special
archaeology tours in Casa Grande Ruins National Monument will be offered.
Free-prize raffles will occur throughout the day.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center-sponsored event. For
more detailed information, contact Kris Dobschuetz, SHPO Compliance
Specialist, at 602-542-7141 or [log in to unmask] or Dave Carney in
Coolidge at 520-723-3172 or [log in to unmask]

Saturday March 12, 2016: Casa Grande, AZ

      "Arts and Culture of Ancient Southern Arizona Hohokam Indians" free
presentation by archaeologist Allen Dart for “History Speaks” series at The
Museum of Casa Grande, 110 W. Florence Blvd., Casa Grande, Arizona;
[...]

event details contact Ashley Moser at 520-836-2223 or
[log in to unmask]; for information about the activity subject matter
contact Allen Dart at Tucson telephone 520-798-1201 or [log in to unmask]

Sunday-Thursday March 13-17, 2016: Globe, AZ

      “Recreating Ancient Salado Pottery Workshop” presented by Andy Ward at
Besh Ba Gowah Archaeological Park, 150 Jesse Hayes Road, Globe, Arizona*

      8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday, 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. Thursday;
$350 includes lunch Sunday through Wednesday

      This intensive five-day workshop will focus on recreating the
beautiful pottery of the Salado culture that developed in Arizona between AD
1275 to 1450. Participants will view prehistoric Salado pottery, examine the
ruins the Salado left behind, dig native clay from the desert, then
carefully recreate Salado pottery using authentic tools and materials and
finally fire that pottery in an outdoor mesquite fire. Class is limited to
12 participants.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center event. To register
visit www.palatkwapi.com/workshop.

Thursday March 17, 2016: Tucson

      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Third Thursday Food for Thought”
dinner featuring the presentation “Hohokam Rock Art, Mountain Ritualism, and
Social Transformation in the Salt River Valley” by archaeologist Dr. Aaron
Wright at ULike Asian Buffet Restaurant, 330 S. Wilmot Rd., Tucson

      6 to 8:30 p.m. Free (Order your own dinner off of the restaurant’s
menu)

      The South Mountains in Phoenix encompass the largest concentration of
rock art in the Hohokam core area. This month’s Third Thursday presentation
focuses on this mountain landscape to contextualize and date its rock art,
and to relate it to ritual structure and practice to show how the production
and use of Hohokam rock art were ritualized. Presenter Aaron Wright, who
recently authored the award-winning book Religion on the Rocks: Hohokam Rock
Art, Ritual Practice, and Social Transformation, argues that the Hohokam
rock art was not produced exclusively by religious specialists (shamans) but
that there was a more equitable distribution of religious knowledge and
ritual power within Hohokam communities. He also presents evidence that most
or all of the petroglyphs were created durfing the Hohokam Preclassic era
between A.D. 450 and 1050, and that production and use of the rock art ebbed
or even ended at the beginning of the Hohokam Classic period.

      Guests may select and purchase their own dinners from the restaurant’s
menu. There is no entry fee but donations will be requested to benefit Old
Pueblo’s educational efforts. Because seating is limited in order for the
program to be in compliance with the Fire Code, those wishing to attend must
call 520-798-1201 and must have their reservations confirmed before 5 p.m.
Wednesday March 16.

      **** IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about
the above-listed activity please reply with “Send flyer” and INCLUDE THE
EVENT’S DATE in your email subject line.

Saturday March 19, 2016: Tucson-Marana

      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s “Spring Equinox Tour of Los Morteros
and Picture Rocks Petroglyphs Archaeological Sites” with archaeologist Allen
Dart, departing from near Silverbell Road and Linda Vista Blvd. in Marana,
Arizona

      8 a.m. to noon. $20 ($16 for Old Pueblo Archaeology Center and Pueblo
Grande Museum Auxiliary members)

      The 2016 vernal equinox occurs on Sunday March 20 at 4:30 Universal
Time (London), which translates to Saturday March 19 at 9:30 p.m. MST in
Tucson. To celebrate the equinox and the annual Arizona Archaeology and
Heritage Awareness Month, archaeologist Allen Dart (Old Pueblo Archaeology
Center’s executive director) leads this tour to Los Morteros, and ancient
village site that includes a Hohokam ballcourt and bedrock mortars, and to
Picture Rocks, where ancient petroglyphs include a solstice and equinox
marker, dancing human-like figures, whimsical animals, and other rock
symbols made by Hohokam Indians between AD 650 and 1450.

      Reservations required by Friday March 18. 520-798-1201 or

      **** IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about
the above-listed activity please reply with “Send flyer” and INCLUDE THE
EVENT’S DATE in your email subject line.

Monday March 21, 2016: Tucson

      “Hard Times in Dry Lands: Apocalypse in the Ancient Southwest or
Business as Usual?” free presentation by Debra Martin at Arizona
Archaeological and Historical Society meeting, Banner University Medical
Center DuVal Auditorium, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., Tucson*

      7:30-9 p.m. Free

      ****Description coming.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center-sponsored event. No
reservations needed. For details visit www.az-arch-and-hist.org
<http://www.az-arch-and-hist.org/>  or contact John D. Hall at Tucson
telephone 520-205-2553 or [log in to unmask]

Saturday March 26, 2016: Tohono O'odham Reservation, AZ

      “Baboquivari Peak Sacred Cave and Petroglyphs” car-caravan educational
tour to sites in and near Topawa, Arizona, with Old Pueblo Archaeology
Center executive director Allen Dart, departing from Pima Community College,
401 N. Bonita Ave., Tucson

      8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. $40 ($32 for Old Pueblo Archaeology Center and Pueblo
Grande Museum Auxiliary members; no charge for members or employees of the
Tohono O’odham Nation)

      In an Easter weekend educational adventure into Native American
culture, this tour meets in Tucson at 8 a.m. and travels to the Tohono
O'odham (Papago) Indian Reservation for visits to the Picture Rock
petroglyphs archaeological site, the historic Baboquivari Camp, and a Tohono
O'odham traditional sacred cave site. We will car-caravan from Tucson to
Topawa, Arizona, then drive 12 miles east toward Baboquivari Peak (the
legendary home of the Tohono O'odham Creator deity I’itoi). From our
assembly point in Baboquivari Camp, a historic Civilian Conservation Corps
camp site in the oak woodland just below Baboquivari Peak, we will take a
moderate-difficulty, two-mile-roundtrip, 1,000-foot-elevation-difference
hike up a trail that leads halfway up the peak, to visit a cave site
traditionally believed to be one of the homes of the deity I’itoi. After
returning from the hike to the campground we will have a bring-your-own
picnic lunch there, after which we will visit Picture Rock, a small butte
that contains petroglyphs and pictographs, bedrock mortars, and ancient
artifacts. Modern Tohono O’odham offerings may be present in some of the
visited locations. Artifact collecting is not permitted, and photos are not
allowed in the cave but are OK outside of it. Registrants may either meet
the tour group at 8 a.m. Saturday in Tucson and car-caravan onto the
reservation, or may camp in Baboquivari Camp on their own the night before
the field trip and meet the tour group at the campground Saturday morning.
Campers must bring their own food and water, as there are no convenience
stores or fast food nearby.

      Reservations required by Wednesday March 23: 520-798-1201 or

      **** IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO EMAIL YOU A FLYER with color photos about
the above-listed activity please reply with “Send flyer” and INCLUDE THE
EVENT’S DATE in your email subject line.

Monday March 28, 2016: Waddell-Buckeye, AZ

      "Southwestern Rock Calendars and Ancient Time Pieces" free
presentation by archaeologist Allen Dart at the Maricopa County Library
District’s White Tank Branch Library, 20304 W. White Tank Mountain Rd.,
Waddell, AZ; cosponsored by Arizona Humanities*

      10-11:30 a.m. Free

      Native Americans in the Southwest developed sophisticated skills in
astronomy and predicting the seasons, centuries before Old World peoples
first entered the region. In this presentation archaeologist Allen Dart
discusses the petroglyphs at Picture Rocks, the architecture of the "Great
House" at Arizona's Casa Grande Ruins, and other archaeological evidence of
ancient southwestern astronomy and calendrical reckoning; and interprets how
these discoveries may have related to ancient Native American rituals. The
program is made possible by Arizona Humanities.

      * This is not an Old Pueblo Archaeology Center-sponsored event. For
event details contact Hanna Bozhko at 602-651-2211 or
[log in to unmask]; for information about the activity subject matter
contact Allen Dart at Tucson telephone 520-798-1201 or [log in to unmask]

(4) OLD PUEBLO ARCHAEOLOGY CENTER’S YOUTH EDUCATION PROGRAMS

      Reservations are taken continually for school classes and other
children’s groups take advantage of Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s OPEN3
simulated archaeological excavation, OPENOUT archaeology outreach
presentations, and archaeological site-touring children’s education
programs.

The OPEN3 Simulated Archaeological Excavation Education Program

      The Old Pueblo Educational Neighbor­hood (OPEN) program allows
students and adults to learn what archaeology is all about by excavation in
“OPEN3,” a full-scale model of an archaeological site. OPEN3 is a simulated
excavation site that archaeologists have con­struct­ed to resemble a
southern Arizona Hoho­kam Indian ruin. It has full-size replicas of
pre­historic pithouses and outdoor features that the Hohokam used for
cooking, storage, and other (sometimes surprising) purposes. Students
participating in the pro­gram get to learn and practice techniques used to
excavate real archaeological sites. They are also exposed to scientific
interpret­a­tion of how ancient people constructed their houses, what they
looked like, ate, and believed in, and how they created beauty in their
lives.

OPENOUT Archaeology Outreach Presentations

      Old Pueblo’s OPEN­­OUT (Old Pueblo Educational Neigh­borhood Outreach)
program offers 45-60 minute presenta­tions by pro­fes­sional archaeologists.
Each presentation shows kids how some aspects of every­day life have changed
while others have stayed the same.

      The “Ancient Peo­ple of Arizona” presentation gives children an
overview of how the Ancestral Pueb­lo (Anasazi), Mogollon, and Hoho­kam
peo­ples lived.

      The “Lifestyle of the Hohokam” program shows children how the ancient
Ho­ho­­kam lived.

      The “Ancient Peo­ple of Arizona” and “Lifestyle of the Hohokam”
presentations both include real and replica artifacts, plus abun­dant
illus­trations to help children experience how pre­historic Native Americans
of our area lived and to appreciate the arts they created.

      “What is an Archae­­ologist?” is a program designed to give chil­dren
an idea of what archaeologists do, how they do it, and how they learn about
people through their work. This presentation includes examples of the tools
archaeologists work with, real and replica artifacts, and activities to help
children experience how archaeologists interpret the past.

      The hands-on materi­als and fun lesson plans in our OPEN­OUT programs
bring archaeol­ogy and the past alive for children and are a per­fect
prelude for the OPEN3 simulated archaeological excavation program.

Tours for Youth

      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center offers guided tours to real
archaeological sites for classrooms and other organized children’s groups.
Heritage sites that can be visited in this program include a choice of the
Picture Rocks petroglyphs site (visited by the school group shown in the
accompanying photo), Los Morteros Hohokam Village, or Vista del Rio Hohokam
Village. Each youth tour is a guided visit that does not include
archaeological excavation; participants are not allowed to collect
artifacts.

       For details and pricing of our children’s education programs please
visit our
http://www.oldpueblo.org/programs/educational-programs/childrens-programs/
web page.

 (5) OUR MISSION

      Old Pueblo Archaeology Center's mission is to educate children and
adults to understand and appreciate archaeology and other cultures, to
foster the preservation of archaeological and historical sites, and to
develop a lifelong concern for the importance of nonrenewable resources and
traditional cultures.

Regards,

Allen Dart, RPA, Executive Director (Volunteer)
Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
PO Box 40577
Tucson AZ 85717-0577 USA
        (520) 798-1201 office, (520) 798-1966 fax
        Email: [log in to unmask]

# # #

        Disclosure: Old Pueblo Archaeology Center's Executive Director Allen
Dart volunteers his time to Old Pueblo. Mr. Dart works full-time as a
cultural resources specialist for the USDA Natural Resources Conservation
Service in Arizona. Views expressed in communications from Old Pueblo
Archaeology Center do not necessarily represent views of the U.S. Department
of Agriculture or of the United States.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(6) OUR ANNOUNCEMENTS and OPT-OUT OPTIONS

Old Pueblo typically sends two email ACTIVITY ANNOUNCEMENTS each month that
tell about upcoming activities that we and other southwestern U.S.
archaeology and history organizations offer. We also email pdf copies of our
Old Pueblo Archaeology newsletter to our members, subscribers, and some
other recipients, usually no more often than once every three months.

If you do not wish to receive email ACTIVITY ANNOUNCEMENTS directly from Old
Pueblo Archaeology Center but are willing to receive emails on other topics
please send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message “Please stop
sending activity announcements” in the Subject line. If you do not wish to
receive any more emails from Old Pueblo Archaeology Center for any reason,
please feel free to send an email to [log in to unmask] with the word
“Remove” in the subject line.

Before you contact us with a “stop sending” or “remove” request, please note
that you received this communication through a listserve and that Old Pueblo
Archaeology Center cannot remove your email address from that listserve. The
listserves to which Old Pueblo posted this announcement, and the email
addresses to contact for inclusion in or removal from each list, include:

      Archaeological Society of New Mexico:  <[log in to unmask]>

      Arizona Archaeological Council:  Walter Duering

      Colorado Council of Professional Archaeologists:  Greg Williams

      Historical Archaeology:  <[log in to unmask]>

      New Mexico Archaeological Council:  David Phillips <[log in to unmask]>

      Rock Art-Arizona State University:  Gary Hein <[log in to unmask]>

      Utah Professional Archaeological Council: