HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Leavitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 2015 14:39:39 -0700
Susan:  I have biographies of a few western
mining men: one has a picture of the subject, age
5 in 1898, informally dressed in trousers,
another has the subject, age 4 in 1892, more formally dressed in a dress/kilt.

I suspect that the decision as to when to switch
boys into trousers was more a
place/financial/personal decision: place because
ready-made children's' clothing was not readily
available in all places; financial because
ready-mades cost more to buy than the material
for home-mades: personal on two counts 1)
children's dresses/kilts were easier to make than
trousers; 2) At what age would a boy suddenly
realize that boys/men didn't wear dresses? And
start complaining? For diaper-age children, the
ease of changing would be a definite
consideration - snaps weren't in use and
pins/buttons took more effort to use. Looking at
my family pictures, my parents seem to have
begged the question - at least outdoors in good
weather. I have pictures of my brother and me
running around in neither. Of course, for
neonates there was the practicality - with no way
to determine the sex of a child before birth, run
off several dresses/kilts to start with, then
worry about possibly changing later.

For dating, try to find a time series of
Sears/Wards catalogues. My 1892 Wards shows a
variety of "children's" skirts/dresses with the
only size information being the length, the rest
of the children's department is missing.

Robert