HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karen Swope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2014 20:53:25 +0000
This information came to my attention peripherally - I am not a member of the Save our Chinatown Committee, but am aware of the importance of this site, and excavated there 30 years ago.  I encourage interested parties to read the following, and refer to the Committee's website.  There is an urgent request for statements of support.

Karen K. Swope, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator, Historical Archaeology
Statistical Research, Inc.
4425 Juan Tabo Blvd. NE, Ste 112
Albuquerque, NM 87111-2681
(505)323-8300
(505)323-8314 FAX
This communication is confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately destroy it and notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone (909)335-1896 (call collect).

Request for help  to help preserve an important Overseas Chinese site

The Save Our Chinatown Committee [SOCC] of Riverside California is calling upon professional archaeologists to provide comments regarding renewed efforts to put a Medical Office Building on the site of the archaeological site of the Riverside Chinatown, a site that has been placed on the National  Register of Historic Places, and has received equivalent  recognition at the state and county level.

The history of the site, the 1984 partial excavation, and preservation efforts since then as well as supporting documentation can be found on the website:  www.saveourchinatown.org<http://www.saveourchinatown.org>.  We need statements regarding the following issues from professional archaeologists delivered to the Riverside Community Development Department (with copies to SOCC).  We need statements in response to the Notice of Plan [NOP] filed by the developers sent in by October 3th.  We have discovered, by attending many meetings with the public and the city government that the following information needs to be reinforced and brought to the attention of government officials:

1) This is an extremely important site - widely known in the community of historic archaeologists for what can be learned about the significant contributions made by the Overseas Chinese and settled Chinese Pioneers to the economy and culture of California.
2) It is well documented that the archaeologically sensitive portions of the Chinatown site include the entire property being considered for development.
3) Attempting to mitigate the impact of a 65,000 square foot building and associated parking by moving the footprint of the building a few feet will not significantly reduce the damage to this or any similar site.
4) Archaeologists agree that it is best to avoid excavation of any site until it is absolutely unavoidable.  Sealing this site with sufficient overburden of soil and protective materials, (over which an open-space type of park could be established) is the best possible way to protect the site and postpone excavation until a future date when conditions and financing are appropriate, and excavation cannot be avoided.
6) The actions taken by Riverside's public officials and staff will be watched with interest by a wide community of historical archaeologists and preservationists. The quality of any Treatment Plans will be reviewed by many volunteers.

Send comments to:

City of Riverside
Community Development Department
Planning Division
3900 Main Street, Third Floor
Riverside, CA92522
With copies to SOCC at: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>