HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Harding Polk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2014 14:29:39 -0400
Patrick is absolutely correct on Item 3.  And, yes, the teeth are riveted on to the bar.  I had to deal with these on a daily basis when cutting hay on a ranch in the 1970s.  I'm sure they are still used.  I looked in my 1902 Sears catalog and there is a small illustration of a horse-drawn one.  I can't tell if the mechanism is the same but it looks similar.

The first item looks like a knife (think paring knife size and style) where the (probably wood) handle has deteriorated away.

Harding Polk II