HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David L Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 11:54:14 -0400
It seems to me that the larger issues are with the process of academia, which seems to be reflected in both conferences and publication of paper journals. We are extracting wealth from the student population, and producing a peasant class of archaeologists as well. I appreciate the info on financial assistance for attendance. I will review it, although for me the cost of being gone is greater than the cost of attendance(I am currently the primary care provider for my children). I do not intend to suggest that you, or this particular conference are unconcerned. These problems are much larger. I have friends and peers in various levels of academia and all of them are caught up in these elite systems. My friends in PhD programs are struggling to find funding for ethnographies dealing with crucial global social issues, while the wealthy members of their cohort breeze through PhDs on relatively insular topics like ballet, simply because all of their needs are met. It is not your responsibility to make the academy egalitarian. However, it is painfully ironic when one studies poverty and inequality to feel that ultimately your own academic pursuits will offer the same to you, because your parents are members of the working poor.

Best,
David L Cook