Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 11:54:14 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
It seems to me that the larger issues are with the process of academia, which seems to be reflected in both conferences and publication of paper journals. We are extracting wealth from the student population, and producing a peasant class of archaeologists as well. I appreciate the info on financial assistance for attendance. I will review it, although for me the cost of being gone is greater than the cost of attendance(I am currently the primary care provider for my children). I do not intend to suggest that you, or this particular conference are unconcerned. These problems are much larger. I have friends and peers in various levels of academia and all of them are caught up in these elite systems. My friends in PhD programs are struggling to find funding for ethnographies dealing with crucial global social issues, while the wealthy members of their cohort breeze through PhDs on relatively insular topics like ballet, simply because all of their needs are met. It is not your responsibility to make the academy egalitarian. However, it is painfully ironic when one studies poverty and inequality to feel that ultimately your own academic pursuits will offer the same to you, because your parents are members of the working poor.

Best,
David L Cook

On May 15, 2013, at 11:14 AM, sent <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I do not think anyone would be able to demonstrate that if there were no conferences (replaced by free electronic communication) there would not be more
> money for wages and much much more.
> 
> Once there was the pony express, like conferences useful.....then they put mail on trains, then trucks, and now there is e.mail....
> 
> Whereas conferences are still in the stone age supported by public funs sidetracked from employment and the needs of the resource-the mission....
> 
> Conrad Bladey
> Archeologist
> Peasant
> 
> -----Original Message----- From: geoff carver
> Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:51 AM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Why YOU should come to SHA Quebec 2014 - FINANCIAL SUPPORT
> 
> That's fairly standard; many of us have benefitted from student assistance; the problem is, once we've graduated, given the low wages in archaeology, we no longer earn enough to be able to attend conferences.
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> 
> 
> Please note that the SHA and the ACUA have several financial support programs to help students attend the conference. 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2