From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:33:28 -0400
Hi Bills and all

On 14-Apr-13, at 8:48 AM, Bill Greenrose wrote:

>>  I also hate the way they stick together top to bottom when
>> >separating hive bodies.

I agree especially when a couple of plastic frames end up mixed with
wax frames due to being moved when making nucs.  I do, however, find
that if there's brood in a mixed box, it is always on the plastic
frames first.

We don't have SHB yet although they are in SW Ontario.  Do the
grooves in various places on plastic frames provide hiding places for
SHB???

Wiring frames for wax foundation is a pain and I stopped doing it
several years ago.  I use thick wax foundation in wood frames with
groves top and bottom and push bobbie pins(hair pins) through the
holes in the end bars to secure the foundation.  Last year I was
forced to buy plastic foundation, for the first time, because my
supplier's wax foundation was too thin.  I have no complaints about
plastic foundation yet, and like the way it fits into the frames.  I
am sticking with wax in my honey supers however.

> Now that pollen is coming in and the bees are building up nicely
> (despite getting another inch of snow Friday).

No pollen yet but maybe tomorrow 16C(61F) and sunny.  Instead of
Bill's snow we got ice rain Friday which left us without hydro for 50
hours.  The broken trees and limbs, that fell to the ground with the
weight of the ice, gave us a close-up look at maple flowers but also
made a mess of the hydro lines.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada