From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:31:52 -0400
Hello Paul & All,

Paul & I have been at odds over many issues but we can agree here. I liked the tone of the post so I responded.
Of course the loss of forage area for bees is a problem.

Bret Adee pointed out when he spoke at the pollinator summit.

"1. Significantly scale up the creation of pollen rich, flowering
field margins across the EU, to provide essential habitat and
nutrition for bees."

Certainly a small baby step in the right direction as is better corn planters.

Moving on:

Beekeepers which attended the "Pollinator Summit" felt the chemical giants totally ignored their issues.

The Dan Rather video focused on almond pollination which is *NOT* at the heart of commercial beekeepers concerns.
If anything almond pollination has saved commercial beekeeping for many as provided a non neonic pollination.

The problem the video presented was the upcoming shortages *if* the die off issue is not resolved.

Real and will bring changes next year.

Almond growers are a powerful group. No other group of growers *in the U.S.* has members able to write pollination checks for millions of dollars. Really.

Now is the time those growers are making sure they have got bees for next year. Supply and demand says the large growers will spend whatever it takes to get bees. Offers of high pollination fees, dropped frame average and paid for trucking got results.

 many options on the table to solve the shortage for next year with the growers and beekeepers working on the issue. Porfavor (please in english) works when looking for hives among commercial beekeepers not interested in almond pollination. The old excuse of "Your check for almond pollination will be in the mail by June" by almond growers in the past is history with out of state beekeepers on the east coast.

Motto:
"In God we trust. All others pay cash!"

Paramount Farms does not spray during bloom! Will get hives! Tip for those almond growers reading.

Moving on:

Commercial beekeepers are a close group and pollination's of  apples, cherries, blueberries, cranberries, watermelons, peaches etc  using neonics and sprays which are causing bee problems will not get bees. Word will pass through the beekeeper grapevine.

The largest beekeepers have a clear picture of what is going on in the bee business today.

bob