From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:01:19 -0700
>Monsanto has a bottom line, a bottom line that is being affected by many
beekeepers joining the cause against Monsanto. That is what they care about.

Actually, Ann, that is not the impression that I got at all!  It was Jerry
Hayes that initiated the concept for the summit, and Project Apism put it
together.  Jerry got Monsanto to offer to host it.  Monsanto didn't do it
because of beekeeper protests.

> When people who are respected in the beekeeping industry come out with
statements such as above, I feel true sorrow that they are fighting *for*
the enemies of our honeybees, as well as all of the natural world.

Ann, you will find no human being who is more concerned about honey bees or
our natural world than I.  May I suggest that you educate yourself further
before accusing those of us who have actually done our homework with
"working for the enemy."  I myself asked pointedly embarrassing questions
to some of the few Monsanto presenters at the conference.

 >The man-made, for profit poisons that are permeating our world, killing
the pollinators, poisoning our bodies, and being sold to us as needed to
'feed the world' are only to benefit the chemical producer and the
shareholders. None of it enhances anything but profit.

Ann, the simplistic view above does not take into account that it is the
farmers who drive the market, not Monsanto.  The growers that I speak to
all wish to reduce their use of pesticides.  One way to do that is to grow
Monsanto's Bt crops.   BTW, the only pesticide of note that Monsanto
produces is the herbicide Roundup--arguably the most
environmentally-friendly herbicide.  Monsanto does not produce insecticides
that harm bees.

Ann, I'm the last person to promote the use of any pesticide or herbicide.
 But I do make an effort to try to understand why only 1% of U.S. farmland
meets organic certification, and what drives the current system.  Only by
understanding all the stakeholders needs will we be able to make
environmental progress.

> >I'll be marked as a crank for this, so be it.

Not a crank at all!  I'm glad to hear that you share my love of, and
concern for the environment.  But perhaps you could be better informed...

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA