From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2013 07:41:35 -0700
>Got lots of hits for bioavailability with clothianidin, but nothing

> indicating it was in some bound unavailable state in the soil that would
> alleviate my concerns.

For a summary of clothianidin's fate in soil, including its propensity to
bind to soil particles, rather than to be bioavailable via water
solubility, see http://www.agropages.com/agrodata/Detail-295.htm

You may recall that I was also asking the List for such field studies--I'm
as interested as you.

>While it is not the problem that
> DDT was, I would not agree that was DDT's *main* problem.  I would think
> that it was its long half life 5-15 years (not that different than the EPA
> gave for clothianidin).

Silica has an indefinite half life in soil, but is not a problem because it
is non toxic.  The property of concern is the toxicity and bioavailability,
not so much the half life.

Aluminum is toxic to plants, yet it the most common element in the Earth's
crust.  It is generally not toxic since it binds to other chemicals on the
soil particles and becomes non bioavailable

Other toxins, such as mercury, can bioaccumulate in plants or animals, and
are thus problematic.  This is the reason that DDT was problematic.  It not
only had a long half life, but was also bioavailable, and also
bioaccumulated.  All three factors were necessary.  Clothianidin has a long
half life in some soils--the real question is whether it remains
bioavailable, and especially whether it bioaccumulates.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA