From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:39:53 -0400
>Set up an empty deep put a queen excluder on it, shake the frames from the first deep over the empty deep and watch for the queen.  If I find her then put her in that deep without any queen cells and add a second deep.

Hi Scott,

You could do that, but it would be easier
to:

Move the colony from its position.

In its place, fix up a single deep with frames
for your old queen.

Also, place 2 frames of brood to 'hold' your queen
in that box.

Place your excluder 'on top' of that box.

On top of that, place an empty hive body.

Lay a sheet or board in front of the hive.

Shake out the colony in front of the hive.

As you shake the frames free of any chance
a queen is present, place the frames in the
top deep.

Remember to brush frames with queen
cells on them so you dont harm the developing
queens.

Your queen will now be in the bottom deep,
and you can relocate the top deep -with
adhering bees, to your new location, and
add your second deep, and the majority
will drift back to the old location with the
old queen.

Sometimes, I like to do all foundation in
the hive with the old queen, and I'll
2 brood frames, -replace with foundation,
and put the excluder on the bottom
to hold the queen.  A strong colony will
draw out 2 deeps fairly rapidly.

Best Wishes,
Joe

Place your excluder on top of that hive body.