From:
Bee Breeding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2013 13:55:51 -0400
I don't have any trial or journal reference for you glen, but I have observed similar behavior.  My bees are typically quite docile, but cold and windy conditions tend to make them more irritable than normal.  If weather conditions are favorable and they have something to be working I can mow right next to the hives and not fear retribution from my bees.  I won't mow next to the hives in poor weather conditions.

On a 50 degree day especially if there is some wind blowing I normally will not get to within 10 feet of my hives especially in front of them (in the flight path).  Unless I am wanting to get stung.

Don't go ordering queens due to meanness just yet.  You have overwintering genetics.  That's what you want.  Make them prove that they are not workable before you requeen.

jb

letmbee.com