ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:09:31 +0000

Erich,
Well put!  From a maintenance standpoint, they are a budget buster.  I believe somewhere in this listserve's archives there is a string about keeping them clean, use of chlorine, lime buildup, clogged tubing, thrown coins (by those who see water and think fountains or wishing wells), hard water, etc.

From an educational standpoint, they can be very useful, particularly for older kids with a particular focus (often with a facilitator).  Younger kids?  Well, play equals learning, but not always.  If a parent is involved in the interaction, yes.  The biggest complaint I heard from parents had to do with wet clothing, fear of sharing rubber smocks (!) and one parent who complained that he didn't need to pay an entrance fee to have his kid do what could be done in a bathtub at home.

Breathe, find the balance between the good, the bad and the ugly
Beryl