HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Harding Polk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2017 11:40:26 -0400
Job Title: Assistant Curator of Zooarchaeology

Posting Number: A21985 (https://uacareers.com/postings/21307)
Job Description:
The Assistant Curator of Zooarchaeology is a continuing-eligible Academic Professional position functioning in the Research Division of the Arizona State Museum (ASM) at the University of Arizona (UA). The incumbent provides curatorial oversight for the comparative zooarchaeological collections (modern, non-human animal skeletal collections) housed at ASM and facilitates access to these collections for the purposes of research and education. The incumbent also conducts sponsored research and prepares publications in the area of zooarchaeology, with an emphasis on the US Southwest and northern Mexico. Other duties include community outreach, contributing to museum exhibits and programming, teaching and mentoring students, committee service within ASM and UA, and review of applications for paleontological permits issued by ASM.
Centrally located on the University of Arizona campus, just a few steps from the U of A Main Gate at Park Avenue and University Boulevard, the museum has something for everyone of every age. ASM is the preeminent institution engaged in the anthropology and history of the southwestern United States and northern Mexico. Our researchers are leaders in all areas of Southwestern anthropology, sought after the world over for their expertise. Our unparalleled collections are accessed continuously through tours, research, teaching, and exhibits. This is where groundbreaking research is conducted and where visitors have authentic, life-enriching encounters with the region’s enduring cultures through our public programs.
With more than $606 million in research and development dollars from federal, state, and private sources, The University of Arizona currently ranks #21 among public universities in the US in overall research expenditures and #2 in physical science research. With world class faculty in fields as diverse as astronomy and space exploration, plant science, biomedical science and biotechnology, anthropology, Native peoples, business, law, philosophy, music, and dance, the UA is one of only 62 members in the Association of American Universities. The University’s main campus is situated in the heart of Tucson. Surrounded by mountains and the high Sonoran Desert, Tucson boasts a distinctive southwestern feel and enjoys more than 300 days of sunshine each year.
The UA today has over 43,000 students, and nearly 15,600 employees. The main campus has grown from its original 40 acres to more than 350 acres, and boasts the oldest continually maintained green space in Arizona. The University of Arizona offers a broad range of educational programs and support services that attract an excellent and diverse student body.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff, and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Accepting a new position is a big life step. We want potential candidates and their families to be able to make informed decisions. Candidates who are considering relocation to the Tucson or Phoenix area, and have been offered an on-site interview, are encouraged to use the free services offered by Above & Beyond Relocation Services (ABRS).Ask your department contact to be introduced to ABRS prior to your visit.
The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona, please click here.