HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elizabeth Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2014 16:22:41 -0400
Great question, Anna!  Thanks for asking it!

I don’t know if you were thinking monographs or textbooks, but I’m going to assume the former since that is what you gave examples of.  The two you mention would have been my first and second answers, as well, as those are the two books that, together, made me decide to become a historical archaeologist.

Other than those, I would have to say my third favorite is Johnson’s “An Archaeology of Capitalism.”  Though I don’t exactly teach historical archaeology these days, I do teach a graduate seminar in material culture, which is basically "intro to historical archaeology for historians.”  I use Johnson’s book in it because, one, I love the book, and two, I think it does a great job of illustrating how documents, maps, landscapes, architecture, etc. are all artifacts too.  It is great for the historians because it bridges the gap between materials they are familiar with and methods/perspectives they aren’t, but I think it is equally important for archaeology students to remember that in historical archaeology documents are part of the data set (and not just as something to be read and quoted, but something to be analyzed and examined).

Best,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Terese Newman, Phd
Assistant Professor of History, Stony Brook University
www.elizabethnewman.org

Check out my new book, Biography of a Hacienda (University of Arizona Press 2014).