HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:24:42 -0700
March 23, 2014

Hello All:

I was given a mystery item to identify.  It was excavated from San Diego Old Town.  Turns out it serves as a coaster.  It is the lowest piece of a "covered three-part soup [or rice] bowl", and "The circular ring in which the bowl sits protects a table surface from heat."  An example is on page 89, photographs 244 & 245 in:

Schiffer, Herbert, Peter Schiffer and Nancy Schiffer

1975    Chinese Export Porcelain, Standard Patterns and Forms, 1780 to 1880.  Schiffer Publishing, Exton, Pennsylvania.

Do you know what the name(s) of this object is?
Do you know of example(s) in museum collection(s)?
Have you other references that show &/or describe one?
The Schiffer example is Rose Medallion.  "Mine" is a pale greenish white celadon, ribbed with scalloped flared rim, hand painted with a landscape element on the upper surface.  The whole thing measures 6" in diameter, the interior of the hole diameter is 2 1/2", it is 1 1/8" high.

Mine is Chinese.  I am assuming the Japanese made or used a similar object, but haven't found it depicted as yet.  Tonight I will page through the Morse Catalogue of Japanese Pottery.

I've just fired off this request to Priscilla Wegars, as well.
Thanks in advance for your time, and any tidbits sent my way.

S. Walter