HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Adrian Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2013 22:14:55 -0700
Hi folks,

I'm looking to gather what information I can on bilingual product labeling
in Canada.

This Government of Canada website states that it became mandatory to label
products both in English and in French in 1974, with the introduction of
the The Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act:

http://www.pch.gc.ca/eng/1359469891097/1359470316573

I'm assessing some artifacts that appear to date to the 1940s, but that
unexpectedly have both English and French labeling on them.

Did some companies voluntarily put bilingual labels on their products prior
to the 1974 law?

Any ideas, experience or references would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Adrian

Adrian Myers, PhD
1-778-871-5397