HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2012 14:34:55 -0500
Introduction:  I'm Linda Derry, and I've been making a fool of myself on
Histarch since the beginning (or nearly so).

I'm a community-based, public oriented, archaeologist working as the site
director of an archaeological park near Selma, Alabama.  In addition to  my
degrees in archaeology, I obtained certification training as a park
interpreter.   The park is called "Old Cahawba."  It is a ghost town that
was once the capital of Alabama (1819-1826), but it was also a late
Mississippian village (De Soto era), a thriving antebellum  river/cotton
town,  a Civil War Prison, and a post Civil War Freedman's village.

I'm interested in the archaeology of the early 19th century, and especially
the role westward moving settlers played in landscape change.  My mission is
to encourage people to "read the relic landscape"  like a historical
document and to be "non-consumptive, above ground archaeologists  -  Also,
to convince members of the public that archaeology is relevant to their
daily lives.

Last year, I was one of a handful of archaeologists that were featured in a
career issue of SAA's Archaeological Record. So, if you want to know more
about me, or see my old but smiling face, check out this link  & go topage
19:

http://onlinedigeditions.com/publication/?i=65152

Cheers,

Linda Derry