From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2013 12:23:12 +0100
>Were these
>the ones that were stocked with AMM type of bee? I though that they were
>supposed to be well adapted to the vagaries of the UK climate

Some were, some were not.  We have considerable hybridisation in this area, particularly with NZ Italians and Greek queens.
In my own case the older A.m.m. queens (3 and 4 year old) have survived very well and are building strong colonies.  My problems were due to moving house last year and neglecting the bees.  Most that failed were colonies that were split last May and the queens failed to mate properly due to the appalling May and June - and the ensuing 10 months!  With hindsight I should not have split them.  Leaving granulated honey as winter stores also proved to be a bad move.
Hindsight, as they say, is a wonderful thing.
My understanding is that large bee farmers with imported colonies suffered very badly - perhaps Gavin has a view?

Best wishes

Peter
52.144442, -1.503509