From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:40:33 +1100
 >On 31/03/2013 5:27 AM, Jerry Bromenshenk wrote:
> [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])   writes:
>
> We may  think about giving the bees a vacation once and while to  recover
>
> Medhat has a good point.  It reminds me of cattle. I grew  up in cattle
> operations.  We fed out 1100 head of beef one year,  but  eventually went to
> >dairy cows.

The ethically dubious cattle feedlots are a good example of forcing
unnatural conditions on animals.  I would suggest that dumping 26,000
hives in one place is every bit as bad.  I don't have a problem with
these numbers if that is peoples wish, but don't then complain about the
result.

If the losses are anywhere as high as some reports are suggesting, one
first needs to examine ones own management.

So loads of reasonable numbers, and personnel who are skilled.  If you
are running 100,000 it is unlikely that you can have enough of such
personnel.

Then some understanding of pollen quality.  Corn and sunflower which
consistently get a mention here are out.

Then varroa and the pathogens it can carry.  Again it is doubtful that
good control can be achieved in the size of some of the outfits
mentioned on this list.

Geoff Manning