HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marty Pickands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:53:16 -0500
Hello-

My colleague here at the New York State Museum, Michael Lenardi, has an interest in scanning technologies, so I asked him your question and he gave me the following information:

"I know Dr. Koetje wrote a paper on this a while back... I couldn't track it down.

TODD A. KOETJE

Department of Anthropology
Western Washington University
Bellingham, Washington

http://www.wwu.edu/anthropology/faculty/toddkoetje/vitae.htm

I know there are others that have done this e.g.:

SAA 2008 abstracts
Frahm, Ellery (University of Minnesota), Marianna Nikolaidou (Cotsen Institute of
Archaeology, UCLA) and Marilyn Kelly-Buccellati (California State University)
[168] Investigating Ceramic Technology at Urkesh (Tell Mozan, Syria): Using Image
Analysis Software to Correlate Sherd Scans in the Field and X-ray Element Maps in the
Lab
'Our research involves a novel combination of techniques to examine the ceramic tradition
at the Hurrian city Urkesh (Tell Mozan, Syria). Traditional ceramic petrography involves
polishing slices of sherds and identifying constituents using a polarizing microscope.
Preparing and observing large numbers of samples, though, is expensive and timeconsuming.
Our approach uses a flatbed scanner in the field to collect high-resolution
images of cut sherds. Select sherds were also analyzed using X-ray element mapping.
Image analysis software correlated the image sets. The result is a promising way to
analyze numerous sherds, crucial for understanding chronological and stylistic variations.'"

I hope this helps.

Marty Pickands
New York State Museum>>> mallory <[log in to unmask]> 1/27/2014 5:25 PM >>>
Hello all,

I was inquiring if anyone recently has used a Charge Coupled Device (CCD) scanner to scan artifacts?

I found on the SAA page from 1995 a trial done in the mid 90's but the scanner was set to 600 optical resolution. More recently scanners at the $200.00 range can reach  6400 x 9600dpi, with a greater depth of focus and field to just over .5 of an inch. ( Some specific models boast to being more accurate in scanning 3D images and an excellent choice for scanography)

With the new technology on the market, has anyone sampled scanning artifacts and if so what model of scanner did you use ?

~Mallory

Mallory R. Haas

SHIPS Project Archaeologist

SHIPS Project