HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Harding Polk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2013 11:24:19 -0400
Eric,

I presented a paper at the SHA annual meeting in Albuquerque (2008) on this very topic.  It was based on a survey of about 1200 ac on the Ramah Navajo Reservation in western New Mexico.  Most of the sites were Navajo sheep camps from the 2nd and 3rd quarters of the 20th C and probably averaged 10-20 artifacts.  In many cases hint that a site was in the area was manifested by vegetation modifications.  I can sent you a copy of the paper if you want.

Harding Polk II