From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2013 13:15:37 -0400
Hi all

I just listened to the press conference. USDA and EPA. I though Jeff Pettis spoke very well. They had a 15 minute Q & A. Unfortunately, most of the callers used the opportunity to make statements, rather than ask questions. I don't know if that was a deliberate effort to eat up the time slot, or what.

Only Maryann Frazier got through to ask a hard question. She made reference to the sense that EPA is not giving equal value to academic research because it does not follow some sort of standard of "best research practices". The EPA guy stated, of course, it wasn't true, that they take everything into account.

"As a matter of policy, we let the science lead our regulatory decision-making, and we want to make sure that we make accurate and appropriate regulatory decisions as opposed to things that could lead to meaningful societal cost without any benefit whatsoever," said Jim Jones, acting EPA assistant administrator for chemical safety and pollution prevention.

Pete