Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:47:19 -0400
>> I have no numbers, but splitting does not seem to reliably keep
>> mites below threshold in my experience.
>
> Allen, it's all about the "r's" (intrinsic rates of reproduction). In
> times of rapid population growth, the bee r exceeds the mite r, and
> relative mite infestation rate drops.  It is only when the bee r
> drops to below that of the mite that mites become a problem.

Well, that is like saying x=x.  It is true by definition in theory,
however, the devil is in the details and things are not quite that simple.

 From Wikipedia: "...the intrinsic rate of increase... is ...the
_theoretical_ maximum rate of increase of a population _per individual_
. The concept is commonly used in insect population biology to determine
how environmental factors affect the rate at which pest populations
increase." (emphasis added)

The environmental factors are not insignificant or necessarily predictable.

For those intending to rely on splitting as a control, a word to the
wise should be sufficient.