HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2015 18:34:09 -0500
 Nancy:
First, I prefer we dispense with the term "abandoned cemetery." As long as there are dead people there, they are doing their intended job. Abandoned is a word often used in justifying removal of a cemetery.
The problem we run into with cemetery restoration is in keeping them restored. That requires a plan and money, preferably in the form of an administered endowed fund that will generate at least 10 percent per year (not talking interest here, but investment, and not in a mutual fund) to cover the anticipated costs of summer mowing and occasional limbing and tree removal. Falling tree limbs are the principal hazzard to monuments in the Eastern US.
For a township or county, a network of non-profit organizations, each responsible for the administration of one or more cemeteries, coordinated by a central entity may be ideal. Local historical and genealogical societies would be best and their participation could even promote membership in their respective organizations.
I'd forgo geophysics and focus on mapping extant stones and fossae/mounds, and work on monument repair and resetting.
Jim

James G. Gibb

Gibb Archaeological Consulting

2554 Carrollton Road