HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2015 14:05:21 -0500
I have seen lots of darn eggs but all of them have been wooden.  The come
in shape ranging from egg to ovoid with out the egg shape and may or may
not have handles.  Often the ones with handles were called "mushroom".  The
were common in late 1800s and early 1900s. My grandmother (born in the
early 1880s) knitted a lot and had a lot of trouble with her grandchildren
taking her 2 knitting and playing with as toys but she was very patient
with us.  I half remember that she said they were often given to girls as
one of the items for their "Hope Chests", if anyone still remembers the
term.  This is the first I have heard of them be used to induce egg laying
in chickens. I am also not familiar with those made of glass.

--
Smoke Pfeiffer
Eschew Obfuscation!