HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2015 13:02:35 -0500
Thanks, Anita, for the interesting history, as well as the memories
stirred ... who would have thought the very first vending machine would
have been necessary to keep religious pilgrims honest in apportioning
holy-water?

The 1952 model candy machine linked as an example in the article (
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:CandiesVendingMachine1952.jpg )
is IDENTICAL to the one that sat in the alcove at the entrance-way to
the Principal's Office in my high-school (Mineola, Texas) from which I
purchased about a BAZILLION candy bars for a nickle apiece during the
mid-60s.

I have seen IDENTICAL machines (as I am sure anyone older than about
50-years-of-age has) in airports, rail-stations, bus-terminals and
restaurants around the world, throughout the 70s-80s-90s ... up until
about 2000 when the electronics versions seem to have supplanted them.
It must have been an extraordinarily widely-distributed, well-built, and
long-lived model! I'll bet most of the old-soldiers were still working
when they were carted-off-to-the-crusher to be replaced by the new ones
with flashy LED lights and dollar-bill-changers ;)

Bob Skiles