HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2014 15:06:43 -0400
Hi all. I'm looking at tobacco pipes from the Johannes Kolb site. This
has a historic occupation that begins with Kolb, a German immigrant who
lived in Skippack NJ before coming south in 1737. He lived at the site
until the early 1760s. A second occupation begins after the American
Revolution and continues through most of the 19th century. These were
likely enslaved seasonal work groups engaged in agriculture. After
emancipation they and their descendants were likely employed as
agricultural laborers and loggers.

This is a two part question. I am finding the usual integral stem ball
clay pipes, but also a fair number of stub stem (reed stem) pipes. A few
of these are glazed, obvious 19th century examples, but about 98% are
unglazed and crude looking enough to argue they are home made. Gottfried
Aust brought the practice of making reed stem pipes to the Moravian
pottery at Salem, NC in the early 1760s. My question is, did he
introduce the practice in the Mid Atlantic at that time as well, or were
German settlers making reed stem pipes at home before then? That is,
could Kolb or one of his neighbors have made these pipes?

Part two. Three ball clay stems are modified. Two are sharpened to a
point, which I interpret as being done to allow them to be fitted into a
reed, extending the use life of the bowl. A third looks as if its owner
chomped down on it with his or her front teeth so they could smoke hands
free, perhaps while working. Has anyone seen evidence of this behavior
in skeletal remains?

Thanks,
Carl