HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2013 20:14:27 -0600
"Bones are collected in great quantities in London: the bone-boilers
there send round their spring-carts every day to the butchers, to inns,
eating-houses, &c., for the purpose of collecting them. After they are
taken home, men are employed with short-handled axes, to chop them into
small pieces as a stock, and pitch them into the boilers. When well
boiled the fat is skimmed off, and as the bone-boiler is generally also
a soap-boiler, part of it is used for soap, and the coarser part for
coach and cart grease. When the bone-boiler has a bone-mill he does not
require to chop them with with axes, but puts them through his coarsest
breaking cylinders, and then into the boilers. When no more fat can be
extracted the bones are then put out to the yard, where I have seen
stacks of them as high as a three-story house. They are afterwards sold
to to the crushers as so much per cauldron, which consists of thirty-six
heaped bushels .... " [p344]

Halkett, James [New Scone, Perthshire]
    1840    "On the adulteration of bone dust." The Farmer's Magazine
[Printed by Joseph Rogerson, London] 2:244-5.